Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: One pound of cascade hops.  (Read 8112 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: One pound of cascade hops.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 04:02:35 pm »
If you're going to use them within a month or two, then you should be able to keep them in a plain old ziploc bag in the freezer without a problem.

If you really want you can use the 2 bags and a straw method to get an OK vacuum. Put the hops in one bag and seal it most of the way leaving about a 1 inch opening. Stick this bag inside a second ziploc bag. Stick a straw in the outer bag, but outside the inner bag and seal the outer bag on the straw. Now suck as much air as you can out of the bag through the straw. While maintaining suction, seal the inner bag. Then pull out the straw and seal the outer bag. It's not a Foodsaver, but it will be passable for a while, especially at freezer temps.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

cornershot

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 06:22:32 pm »
If you already froze them wet, it may be too late. They'll turn to mush.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 06:50:22 pm »
Harvested mine today. Got about three gallons. Not horrible for first year I guess. I put a box fan on a couple chairs, blowing down, then the hops on screens on top.  Hoping they'll be dry in a couple days. Probably going to brew with some Tuesday and vac seal the rest for later.

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 10:51:39 pm »

Oh well. Just part of the learning curve. I'll know in a few days. But I will be less surprised if mush happens.

cornershot

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 03:00:03 am »
You can pick more right? Wear long sleeves and gloves this time! :)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 03:01:26 pm »
Overnight my hops were bone dry. Got them all vacuum packed. Ended up with just short of a pound. Going to make a home grown red tomorrow.

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 03:44:49 pm »
I could see if the guy doesn't mind me picking more. Especially if I picked the bush clean for him and left what I don't want to use for his man cave potpourri.

That's some fast drying Klickitat. May hops are still a lil wet but firm and unmushy.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 04:36:44 pm »
I could see if the guy doesn't mind me picking more. Especially if I picked the bush clean for him and left what I don't want to use for his man cave potpourri.

That's some fast drying Klickitat. May hops are still a lil wet but firm and unmushy.
It might be dry east of those mountains. Relative humidity is what, Jim?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 04:47:02 pm »
Not sure yesterday but today is 40% and getting ready to rain.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 07:36:45 pm »

Yes. My understanding is you have to pick them and either dry them or use them within 24 hours wet. Freezing them is not advised.

Offline micah h

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 03:03:07 am »

Yes. My understanding is you have to pick them and either dry them or use them within 24 hours wet. Freezing them is not advised.

I froze them for about 16 hours and then brought them out and laid flat for three days drying.

They were very brown by the time they were dry, i would say a brown hop for every green hop. Still had a hop smell, and yellow at the base of the petals. Think I'll just scrap this batch and see if i can pick more.

I'm not asking Freud, but does size matter? I picked a lot of the larger hops last time. But the vine had lots more smaller hops on it.

I think as long as I look for the yellow base and stickiness of the base they should be good hops. Yet i still need to ask, does size matter?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 08:49:39 am »

I froze them for about 16 hours and then brought them out and laid flat for three days drying.

They were very brown by the time they were dry, i would say a brown hop for every green hop. Still had a hop smell, and yellow at the base of the petals. Think I'll just scrap this batch and see if i can pick more.

I'm not asking Freud, but does size matter? I picked a lot of the larger hops last time. But the vine had lots more smaller hops on it.

I think as long as I look for the yellow base and stickiness of the base they should be good hops. Yet i still need to ask, does size matter?

it might,

the smaller cones could be less mature so they would have a less strong flavor. They might just be slightly more stressed so they might actually have a more strong flavor.

The larger cones, if older, might have been oxidized slightly more on the bine which might either make them smell/taste better or smell/taste worse.

so I guess the answer is a definite maybe.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce