Author Topic: Oxygen flow meter?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
Oxygen flow meter?
« on: September 15, 2013, 05:32:40 AM »
I finally found a medical oxygen tank on Craigslist at the right price.  It has a regulator, but I heard a podcast some time back stating that one also wants a flow meter on it so that one can be more consistent in dosing the wort.

What do you think?
Steve

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen flow meter?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 05:47:07 AM »
Most advice you find says 1 liter a minute for a minute per 5 gallons of a standard ale (something about 1.050). You go longer for high gravity or lagers.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:26:15 AM »
I too did a bunch of research before getting my O2 system; I settled for a small tank for welding (easy to get filled/exchanged), and the flow meter is integral to the regulator on my unit. It's a 1-4 LPM device I got on Amazon for $50 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006980HS2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one's configured for a CGA 540 connection to the tank - yours may be different. Only issue I had was the fitting on the output - it a DISS outlet for medical fittings and is specific to Oxygen (thread size and pitch) so I had to order from a medical supply. Got the fitting and an elbow, a master ON/OFF valve and nipple out to the hose - this thing works great!
AHA Member

On Tap: BIPA, American IPA
On deck: Kolsch

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:57:36 AM »
Or use the wort as a flow meter?  If too much O2 is leaving the surface, turn down.

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
Well as it turns out I just need a little schooling on what I bought.

The little number 1 on the left indicates the flow rate which in this setting is 1 liter of O2 per minute!  It can't get any easier.  This tank will last me for years and then is only $15 to exchange.  No more messing around with those little red cans and the horrible regulator that I've been using on it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:21:02 PM by yso191 »
Steve

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »
Where do you get it refilled?
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:44:04 PM »
Where do you get it refilled?

The short answer is: at a local medical supply store.  They just exchange it on the spot for a full one.

The longer answer is that this tank was purchased from Lincare, a national company.  They WILL NOT exchange or refill one of their tanks unless one has a Dr's. prescription.  I thought I was out $100.  Until I went to the local mom-n-pop medical supply store.  They said they could do it.  But then showed me that the tank was full - I just had the main valve off.  I'm happy again.
Steve

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
Easy way... find tare weight on bottle. Weight it. The difference is how much gas you have.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:35:29 PM »
I don't even know why we are worried about medical vs welding 02.  I have used welding exchange five lb tanks for years with no problem.  Throw a cheap Harris gauge on it and you are there.  You will get at least 40, 5 gal kegs out of the tank.  I leave it slightly open all the time so it never sucks wort into the sintered stone or metal until I drop it into the starsan. 
AHA Member 900001775

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 02:23:33 AM »
From what I've discovered; oxygen is filled into welding tanks and medical tanks using the same master system, same oxygen, same everything. The difference is when it leaves the filling plant - chain of custody (and tank configuration) is what really separates "medical-grade" and "welding-grade" oxygen.

No matter the source of the tank or oxygen, I'll still feel better with medical-grade regulators and flow meters - just "feels" more sanitary to me.
AHA Member

On Tap: BIPA, American IPA
On deck: Kolsch

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 07:42:33 PM »
For me it was which unit I found first at the price point I felt was reasonable.  I would have totally sprung for a welding tank - this one just came up first.  I have to say that I love the regulator far more than the welding variety though.
Steve

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:32:03 PM »
You can get a CGA540 version of the medical regulator, which fits welding tanks.  See the amazon link above.  I use one and it makes it very easy to control the output since it's designed for low flow.
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 05:14:23 AM »
Flow meter is best, but in a pinch you can also use a small ball valve and a sight glass (or the bubbles going through the wort) to gauge the flow. You don't really need a flowmeter.
Keith Y.
Self appointed "All Grain" section pruner

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 07:47:20 PM »
A quick report on the first use.  It couldn't have been easier.  Set the regulator to 1 liter/minute, stick the aerator wand in the wort, turn the main valve on and start the timer for a minute.  Pull out the wand at 1 minute and shut the main valve.   So glad I found this!
Steve