Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Yeast for Bread?  (Read 18437 times)

Offline dglucasii

• Cellarman
  • I'd rather be brewing
Beer Yeast for Bread?
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:01:10 pm »
Has anyone ever used the (washed) liquid yeast from a secondary fermenter to make bread?  I just harvested the yeast from my latest batch(IPA) and was toying with the idea of making bread with it(actually, asking my wife to do it).  Anyone have any experience doing this? 

cornershot

Re: Beer Yeast for Bread?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:11:28 pm »
Bread yeast is sacc yeast. In the old days, bakeries were located next to the local brewery for the yeast supply. I like to use it in a slow rise dough like this one: http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/easy-no-knead-dutch-oven-crusty-bread.aspx
It's a great, simple recipe that makes a wonderful crusty bread. I've made this one many times and I often add a cup of spent grains. I keep some spent grains in the freezer just for this.
Just try to use fairly clean yeast without much hop matter or it will be bitter. Don't use spent grains containing mash hops either.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 08:12:07 pm »
Thank you for the link.

I would also be concern about bitterness of yeast from hoppy beers.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:00:33 am »
I've not yet used yeast from a batch of finished beer in bread but I was out of bread yeast and had a packet of us-05 and used that. no noticeable difference from using regular bread yeast.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:17:23 am »
This is a great idea. I make that bread recipe all the time, replacing the water with different beers. Even with 12oz of beer, the beer's flavor mostly bakes out, so I wouldn't worry much about hop particles or flavor in the tiny amount of yeast you'll be using.  According to http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/yeast_converter.html replace the 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast with 1/2 tsp of fresh yeast.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:34 am »
Although I haven't tried it, the consensus is that it works, although not as well as bread yeast.  Beer yeast is bred to eat sugar while bread yest is bred to make CO2...or so I'm told.  While there is some xover, each is a bit specialized for its task.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

cornershot

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:21:55 am »
This is a great idea. I make that bread recipe all the time, replacing the water with different beers. Even with 12oz of beer, the beer's flavor mostly bakes out, so I wouldn't worry much about hop particles or flavor in the tiny amount of yeast you'll be using.  According to http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/yeast_converter.html replace the 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast with 1/2 tsp of fresh yeast.

I have tried the aforementioned recipe subbing beer for water as well. I tried it with stout, but it didn't have the stout character I hoped for. I tried it with a hoppy beer and it was unpleasantly bitter.

Can't remember where I read or heard it, but beer yeast is best suited for a slow rise dough, hence the dutch oven recipe. But I have had success reusing beer yeast for pizza dough.

Offline dglucasii

• Cellarman
  • I'd rather be brewing
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 06:34:01 pm »
Awesome...thanks for all the replays.  The Mrs will be giving it a try tomorrow.
I'll post then and let everyone know how it turned out.
Thanks again

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:57:16 pm »
I've found that bread is a great use for beers that just don't cut it or are over carbed. I just made a loaf with an old porter gusher. Turned out great.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 07:03:54 pm »
Jeff Renner would be the expert, should the Batsignal be turned on?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:08:27 pm »
I have tried the aforementioned recipe subbing beer for water as well. I tried it with stout, but it didn't have the stout character I hoped for. I tried it with a hoppy beer and it was unpleasantly bitter.

Can't remember where I read or heard it, but beer yeast is best suited for a slow rise dough, hence the dutch oven recipe. But I have had success reusing beer yeast for pizza dough.
I tried an IPA once and it was bitter. I thought it would be good with chicken soup (richness and fat to counter the bitterness) but yeah, by itself it wasn't great. Berliner weisse makes great bread.
I've never heard that about beer yeast, but slow rise dough is great. Many of the enzymatic reactions that happen in the dough overnight are the same as those in a mash.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

cornershot

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 03:02:39 am »
I'll have to try berliner weisse bread...if I ever get around to brewing one. I would guess a wee heavy bread would be nice.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 07:12:14 am »
Berliner bread is like easy, faux sourdough. The organisms in a sour mashed berliner are the same as those in a sourdough starter, so you get all the flavors and aromas. I wouldn't call it sourdough, because it's not as intense as real sourdough. But it's definately more interesting than plain yeast risen bread.  I've wanted to try using freshly soured wort so the souring organisms could keep working overnight on the bread. I have not gotten around to it though.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 08:16:21 am »
I believe bread yeast are also selected for quick fermentation (and not just the quick rise yeast) so they chew through the sugar in the dough faster than beer yeast, which are selected for other factors. I'd think adding more beer yeast than you would bread yeast would help overcome the lag.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 09:22:23 am »
Jeff Renner would be the expert, should the Batsignal be turned on?

That would be great...it's been too long since we've heard from him!  Please give him my regards of you see him!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell