General Category > Equipment and Software

Stout Conical Review

<< < (2/3) > >>

majorvices:
Yeah, I think you will notice an improvement in your beer if you can get more control over temp. If you are at 67 ambient then at high krausen your temp will be in mid 70s, far too warm for most ale yeasts.

gymrat:

--- Quote from: majorvices on September 22, 2013, 04:59:10 PM ---Yeah, I think you will notice an improvement in your beer if you can get more control over temp. If you are at 67 ambient then at high krausen your temp will be in mid 70s, far too warm for most ale yeasts.

--- End quote ---

My first batch in it was a white wheat beer. I used Nottingham yeast and it did hit 75F during fermentation. But the beer doesn't have any off flavors from that at all. In fact it is one of the best wheat beers I have ever made. Which really surprises me. In the past I have had wheat beers come out tasting like hefelwiezens, and now I think it is because of the fermentation temperatures, but this came out tasting absolutely clean.

yso191:
I notice in the picture above that you have a tri-clamp on the lid for your blow-off.  How did you attach it?  Mine just has a hole in the lid.

*edit*  You must have the 14.5 gallon conical.

milligan101:
Morebeer sells a conical for about twice the cost as this one.  Anyone know the difference to justify the cost?  I've been hesitant to drop $900.

yso191:

--- Quote from: milligan101 on September 30, 2013, 09:06:13 PM ---Morebeer sells a conical for about twice the cost as this one.  Anyone know the difference to justify the cost?  I've been hesitant to drop $900.

--- End quote ---

I have used the MoreBeer conical, though never owned one.  The difference is in the lid.  The domed lid has a tri-clamp fitting on it.  The band that is used to make the lid airtight is cumbersome but more visually attractive than the Stout conical.  The rest is the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version