Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: About to keg my first beer, tips?  (Read 3502 times)

Offline cmooreseymour

• 1st Kit
About to keg my first beer, tips?
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:20:15 am »
Just made the big jump from plastic fermenters to glass and bottling to kegging.  First week on AHA and I'm about to keg my first beer (~7% abv Columbus/Simcoe IPA) and need a few tips.  Does anyone have a link or summary on best techniques for sanitizing a 5 gal Corny Keg + tubing and carbonating my first beer?  I've skimmed two of Papazian's books but I'm still looking for a step-by-step breakdown on this process.  Thanks for all the help!

Cheers!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: About to keg my first beer, tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:48:39 am »
http://morebeer.com/web_files/morebeer.com/files/kegging.pdf

I found this to be really helpful thanks to someone that posted it for me as I too am getting started with kegs as well.

Also this:http://www.kegworks.com/faqs/Draft-Beer-Quality-Manual.pdf
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cmooreseymour

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:53:11 pm »
Thanks, guys!!  SO much information in all three of those resources. Exactly what I was looking for, greatly appreciated.  Can't wait to get started.

Offline rj1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:30:59 am »
I know this is a bit advanced for a first-time kegger, but this is my 2 cents worth on this topic... I just kegged (last week) 2 5 gallon kegs from my conical. Since it's a big beer well over 6.5% ABV I added fresh yeast to both as the residual yeast is pretty well spent. Keg 1: dry hopped immediately without priming sugar (the fresh yeast will help finish fermenting the rest of the residual sugar) as it will be chilled, filtered, force-carbonated and served within a week of kegging. This is my New Age keg. Keg 2: 5 Oz priming sugar added at kegging. It will be dry hopped and fined with Isinglass (no filtering) about a week before serving (2-3 weeks in the keg). This is my Traditional keg. I use a spunding valve so as to never over-carbonate. And I connect Co2 after filling the kegs and purge the oxygen with 5 PSI Co2. After 2 days, keg 2 (primed) was up to full carbonation PSI! And keg 1, after 4 days in the keg and relying just on residual sugar, was up to 92% of full carbonation PSI. But keg conditioning isn't just about carbonation... This is my first side-by-side comparison, so we will see...

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 05:39:53 am »
As far as sanitizing goes, I fill about a gallon of water and some starsan in the keg before kegging and shake up and dump.  Only needs a couple minutes contact time.  I sanitize my tubing with a spray bottle where I keep a mixture of distilled water and starsan.  It's just that simple.
Trey W.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:03:30 am »
5 ounces of sugar is way overkill for a 2.5 gallon keg. The most I use for 5 gallons is 2.5-3.

Edit- just noticed you used two 5 gallon kegs. Maybe I should put on my glasses? But still, 5 ounces is a ton of sugar for a keg.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:10:05 am by Steve in TX »