Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone seen hops like these?  (Read 8969 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Anyone seen hops like these?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »
pinnah,

I'm sure if you contacted these folks: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/reprints/hopexpedition2002.pdf ,  they'd take a few cuttings off your hands and be able to let you know what you have as that's what they're looking for.  Merry Christmas!

Very interesting!  Cool Job...traveling around the intermountain west botanizing wild Humulus!!

Look just like my Chinook.  Same color too.....

Dave

Interesting on the color as well; thanks Dave.  I suspect that Chinook may be a player.  The reason why I don't think it is Chinook is that I have one nearby (maybe 120 ft), that I got from Freshops, but the cones on it smell very different than the one I am trying to research here.

I suspect soil and sunlight may have something to do with it.  Also, are they the same age?  I'm no expert, just that my Chinook look exactly like that.
Dave Zach

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 09:02:20 am »
pinnah,

I'm sure if you contacted these folks: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/reprints/hopexpedition2002.pdf ,  they'd take a few cuttings off your hands and be able to let you know what you have as that's what they're looking for.  Merry Christmas!

But I would call or email and get approval first. They maintain an enormous bank of clean plant stock and might not be thrilled to open a package with cuttings that might bring disease into their labs/grow areas.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 05:22:53 pm »
I suspect soil and sunlight may have something to do with it.  Also, are they the same age?  I'm no expert, just that my Chinook look exactly like that.

You may be right on the soil and aspect.  I may harvest some material this spring and plant it elsewhere to confirm that the habit is the same irregardless of where it is grown.

But I would call or email and get approval first. They maintain an enormous bank of clean plant stock and might not be thrilled to open a package with cuttings that might bring disease into their labs/grow areas.

For sure.  I am sure they would not appreciate unsolicited or announced packages! ;D
 I am convinced this plant may be part native, but not totally...so they may not be interested in such a polluted specimen.  ;)

I am normally not overly impressed with single hopped ales, but this one is quite nice.  Cheers.