Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Should we avoid bottle conditioned beer?  (Read 6839 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Should we avoid bottle conditioned beer?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 07:58:35 am »
I guess it's possible that he had way too much yeast and a combination of a carb-rich diet, poor digestion and a buildup of starch in the colon could result in the production of a decent amount of alcohol. Your colon has a lot of blood vessels so it's very easy to get wasted from alcohol in there. Google wine enema.

Still, the story seems like a stretch. If this guy was a homebrewer then he definitely should have figured this one out, especially after he turned his butthole into an airlock.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 08:25:31 am »
I always thought White Labs vials looked like they should be shooters. I just didn't realize the optimal chaser is a plate of pasta.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 08:51:34 am »
I guess it's possible that he had way too much yeast and a combination of a carb-rich diet, poor digestion and a buildup of starch in the colon could result in the production of a decent amount of alcohol. Your colon has a lot of blood vessels so it's very easy to get wasted from alcohol in there. Google wine enema.

Still, the story seems like a stretch. If this guy was a homebrewer then he definitely should have figured this one out, especially after he turned his butthole into an airlock.

Pro tip: don't google wine enema.
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 09:24:47 am »

+1.069
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 10:17:41 am »

Thank you.  I won't.

I'd like to think I learned my lesson on the beaver anus thread.  My search history is probably pretty disturbing for whomever is checking on it at the NSA.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 10:32:13 am »
I used to take brewers yeast as a vitamin B complex supplement.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 10:46:48 am »

Thank you.  I won't.

I'd like to think I learned my lesson on the beaver anus thread.  My search history is probably pretty disturbing for whomever is checking on it at the NSA.

Especially is there is a secret mission called Operation Beaver Anus

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 10:54:47 am »

Thank you.  I won't.

+1.
Jon H.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 11:10:17 am »
I think if we ever had a S. cerevesia infection in the hospital I'd ask the lab if they could prop up a slant for me...
+1000! hahaha

Offline mlang

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 12:06:57 pm »
I just read the actual study after thinking the reported .3-.4 were typos. Not so. That got me thinking. Does anyone around here have a breathalyzer that he can hook up to his fermenter  and see what it reads?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 01:36:33 pm »
Sure. Standby...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 01:49:51 pm »
A 5 gal fermentor of Mosaic IPA 1.070 OG been fermenting since September 7. I pulled the airlock, coincidently the same size as my one way breath sample mouth piece (hmmmm, an idea)
Anyway, I placed it on the pbt and inhaled air through it from the fermentor. Gag!!! Cough!!!
Reading was .390
There's no way in hell he blew that high without drinking unless he had a belly full of high test and belched into the pbt.
Its a bs story

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 02:12:36 pm »
A 5 gal fermentor of Mosaic IPA 1.070 OG been fermenting since September 7. I pulled the airlock, coincidently the same size as my one way breath sample mouth piece (hmmmm, an idea)
Anyway, I placed it on the pbt and inhaled air through it from the fermentor. Gag!!! Cough!!!
Reading was .390
There's no way in hell he blew that high without drinking unless he had a belly full of high test and belched into the pbt.
Its a bs story

that's the point, he had a belly full of hightest. the air coming out of his belly was very high in volatile alcohols. many of which likely blow out of the fermenter during fermentation. but because he WAS the fermenter they were blowing out of him.

if you stop someone and ask them if they have had a drink in the last x minutes aren't you asking because while there is a significant amount of alcohol in the mouth and stomach the reading will be way way high? same thing here.

Go and chug a beer and immediately test yourself. I bet you'll blow pretty high. don't drink water in between or anything, drink and blow.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 02:44:55 pm »
Maybe this can settled with a real world test. 

If one of the MD's on the forum will write Jim a script for 2 months worth of a cadillac antibiotic, Jim can get a big starter of ale yeast going while he wipes out his gut biome.  Once he has just about only yeast in his digestive track he can go all starch and carbs all the time and see what he can blow a few hours after eating.   :D

Think of what we could do for science performing this experiment!   ;D

(If you didn't catch the sarcasm and intended humor in my suggestion, please reread it.)
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2013, 03:33:01 pm »
Caught it.
Mort is correct on how to get a false reading. That's why you do a mouth check and wait 15 minutes before the test, restarting the time if the person burps or regurgitates, observing the whole time. Than making sure they are blowing not burping.
In any event, if I had .390 venting from my stomach I'd be on my way to lala land.

Next internet story... man makes waffles in his nose.