Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Should we avoid bottle conditioned beer?  (Read 6871 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Should we avoid bottle conditioned beer?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2013, 04:02:47 pm »
Caught it.
Mort is correct on how to get a false reading. That's why you do a mouth check and wait 15 minutes before the test, restarting the time if the person burps or regurgitates, observing the whole time. Than making sure they are blowing not burping.
In any event, if I had .390 venting from my stomach I'd be on my way to lala land.

Next internet story... man makes waffles in his nose.

a friend of mine used to be in the furniture stripping (striping?) business. He used a wood alcohol based product and he would spend the day working over a vat of the stuff. He almost got in trouble at one point because he got pulled over right after leaving work and blew over the legal limit, 15 minutes later he was fine but the fumes had worked their way into his mouth and stomach and skin to the point where it tricked the breathalyzer.

**EDIT to add **

I can't find it right now but I remember reading a story a couple years ago about woman who had a pine tree growing in her lung
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »
Caught it.
Mort is correct on how to get a false reading. That's why you do a mouth check and wait 15 minutes before the test, restarting the time if the person burps or regurgitates, observing the whole time. Than making sure they are blowing not burping.
In any event, if I had .390 venting from my stomach I'd be on my way to lala land.

Next internet story... man makes waffles in his nose.

a friend of mine used to be in the furniture stripping (striping?) business. He used a wood alcohol based product and he would spend the day working over a vat of the stuff. He almost got in trouble at one point because he got pulled over right after leaving work and blew over the legal limit, 15 minutes later he was fine but the fumes had worked their way into his mouth and stomach and skin to the point where it tricked the breathalyzer.

**EDIT to add **

I can't find it right now but I remember reading a story a couple years ago about woman who had a pine tree growing in her lung
Wow that's scary.  Wood alcohol is some scary stuff to have inside you. Sounds like he changed careers, for the better.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 04:48:59 pm »
I've heard of the chemicals story. I'm with you on not being a fan of blindly testing and not paying attention to other possibilities. Its not so scary to think there are Robocops who have PBTs, as it is to think they have a gun. Lets hope they don't go into cabelas and shoot anyone pointing a gun.

Its not the test, its the person giving the test.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:52:03 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 01:28:02 am »
I remember some court tv show many years ago where a guy was busted for DWI (that's what they called them back then) with a crazy high breathalyzer reading. His defense was that he's a busker who breathes fire and uses alcohol for the fuel. The judge took they guy and the cameras outside for a demonstration. The judge let him off.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 05:22:49 am »
DWI (that's what they called them back then)...

Still DWI in Texas.