Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygen flow meter?  (Read 5858 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Oxygen flow meter?
« on: September 15, 2013, 06:32:40 am »
I finally found a medical oxygen tank on Craigslist at the right price.  It has a regulator, but I heard a podcast some time back stating that one also wants a flow meter on it so that one can be more consistent in dosing the wort.

What do you think?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Oxygen flow meter?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:47:07 am »
Most advice you find says 1 liter a minute for a minute per 5 gallons of a standard ale (something about 1.050). You go longer for high gravity or lagers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 04:26:15 am »
I too did a bunch of research before getting my O2 system; I settled for a small tank for welding (easy to get filled/exchanged), and the flow meter is integral to the regulator on my unit. It's a 1-4 LPM device I got on Amazon for $50 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006980HS2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one's configured for a CGA 540 connection to the tank - yours may be different. Only issue I had was the fitting on the output - it a DISS outlet for medical fittings and is specific to Oxygen (thread size and pitch) so I had to order from a medical supply. Got the fitting and an elbow, a master ON/OFF valve and nipple out to the hose - this thing works great!
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:57:36 am »
Or use the wort as a flow meter?  If too much O2 is leaving the surface, turn down.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:18:05 pm »
Well as it turns out I just need a little schooling on what I bought.

The little number 1 on the left indicates the flow rate which in this setting is 1 liter of O2 per minute!  It can't get any easier.  This tank will last me for years and then is only $15 to exchange.  No more messing around with those little red cans and the horrible regulator that I've been using on it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:21:02 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:31:31 pm »
Where do you get it refilled?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 01:44:04 pm »
Where do you get it refilled?

The short answer is: at a local medical supply store.  They just exchange it on the spot for a full one.

The longer answer is that this tank was purchased from Lincare, a national company.  They WILL NOT exchange or refill one of their tanks unless one has a Dr's. prescription.  I thought I was out $100.  Until I went to the local mom-n-pop medical supply store.  They said they could do it.  But then showed me that the tank was full - I just had the main valve off.  I'm happy again.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 01:46:40 pm »
Easy way... find tare weight on bottle. Weight it. The difference is how much gas you have.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:35:29 pm »
I don't even know why we are worried about medical vs welding 02.  I have used welding exchange five lb tanks for years with no problem.  Throw a cheap Harris gauge on it and you are there.  You will get at least 40, 5 gal kegs out of the tank.  I leave it slightly open all the time so it never sucks wort into the sintered stone or metal until I drop it into the starsan. 
AHA Member 900001775

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 03:23:33 am »
From what I've discovered; oxygen is filled into welding tanks and medical tanks using the same master system, same oxygen, same everything. The difference is when it leaves the filling plant - chain of custody (and tank configuration) is what really separates "medical-grade" and "welding-grade" oxygen.

No matter the source of the tank or oxygen, I'll still feel better with medical-grade regulators and flow meters - just "feels" more sanitary to me.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 08:42:33 pm »
For me it was which unit I found first at the price point I felt was reasonable.  I would have totally sprung for a welding tank - this one just came up first.  I have to say that I love the regulator far more than the welding variety though.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

narvin

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 09:32:03 pm »
You can get a CGA540 version of the medical regulator, which fits welding tanks.  See the amazon link above.  I use one and it makes it very easy to control the output since it's designed for low flow.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 06:14:23 am »
Flow meter is best, but in a pinch you can also use a small ball valve and a sight glass (or the bubbles going through the wort) to gauge the flow. You don't really need a flowmeter.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 08:47:20 pm »
A quick report on the first use.  It couldn't have been easier.  Set the regulator to 1 liter/minute, stick the aerator wand in the wort, turn the main valve on and start the timer for a minute.  Pull out the wand at 1 minute and shut the main valve.   So glad I found this!
Steve
BJCP #D1667