Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: amber wheat recipe feedback  (Read 3478 times)

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
amber wheat recipe feedback
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:02:02 pm »
Doing an amber wheat for a friend. Didn't find many recipes on this style....

4lbs 9.3 oz pale malt
3lbs white wheat malt
11 oz crystal 40
10.3 oz munich
7.3 oz crystal 120

mash 152 degrees for 60 mins
batch sparge

boil 60 mins
1 oz hallertauer hersbrucker at 60 mins

1.5 oz orange zest 5 mins
.5 oz corriander 5 mins

yeast safale us 05 1 pkg

Ferment at 65-67 degrees

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
Re: amber wheat recipe feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 05:07:28 pm »
Shooting for 1.052 og with 16 ibus. Any feedback is appreciated. She wanted me to model something after blue moons amber wheat valencia grove. I am hoping to make something better. Blue moon website states plato of 14 with 16 ibus (hersbrucker), pale, munich, white wheat, and caramel malts, valencia orange peal, and hibiscus. Im leaving out the hibiscus.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:53:06 pm »
Shooting for 1.052 og with 16 ibus. Any feedback is appreciated. She wanted me to model something after blue moons amber wheat valencia grove. I am hoping to make something better. Blue moon website states plato of 14 with 16 ibus (hersbrucker), pale, munich, white wheat, and caramel malts, valencia orange peal, and hibiscus. Im leaving out the hibiscus.

why leave out the hibiscus? it's yummy. tastes like cranberries
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:10:20 pm »
Dont know where to get it or how or how much?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:28:46 pm »

you will  likely find it in a health food store or co-op or a Hispanic grocery (it might be called Jamaica pronounced like 'ch' in Yiddish) or a grocery store with an Hispanic foods section.

You can use a couple ounces of the dried flowers to make a strong tea that you can add to the beer at packaging time. It's also delicious sweetened and over ice all by itself.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:36:29 pm »

you will  likely find it in a health food store or co-op or a Hispanic grocery (it might be called Jamaica pronounced like 'ch' in Yiddish) or a grocery store with an Hispanic foods section.

You can use a couple ounces of the dried flowers to make a strong tea that you can add to the beer at packaging time. It's also delicious sweetened and over ice all by itself.

Amazon is another option. Going to be racking some saison over some hibiscus tomorrow myself.

Aside from the flavor (kinda reminds me of fruit punch), it also imparts a beautiful, vibrant red color.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 02:45:54 pm »
so back to my original question. Does the recipe look good or.....?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 03:01:47 pm »
so back to my original question. Does the recipe look good or.....?

looks fine. Personally I would not use that much crystal malt and just do 50% munich 50% wheat but that's me.

I don't actually know how much 1.5 oz orange zest is but last batch of wit I did I included the zest from 3 oranges in 11 gallons.

Make sure you get the right kind of coriander (Indian I think) or you risk a slightly hammy beer. I was always a little confused by this and this last batch I used... I don't honestly know, Mexican would be my guess... coriander and there is a slight but definite savory aspect to the flavor at first. Only with the half of the batch that got the white labs Wit beer yeast. the half that got American Farmhouse blend doesn't have that character. In fact the American Farmhouse half is a much cleaner, brisker, and sharper flavor. the bitterness from the orange zest really comes through a lot more in that one while the coriander is subdued.

I also included a couple oz of chamomile in mine and it's a really nice herbal/honey flavor in the background
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 03:16:45 pm »
My yeast selection is based on years of dealing with sulfury beers made with wit beer and hefe yeast. The sulfur has all  almost frustrated me enough to move away from the styles completely. I did however do a smash beer the other day with notty and it was sulfury and it cleared nicely after raising it up to room temperature for a few days.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 03:37:55 pm »
My yeast selection is based on years of dealing with sulfury beers made with wit beer and hefe yeast. The sulfur has all  almost frustrated me enough to move away from the styles completely. I did however do a smash beer the other day with notty and it was sulfury and it cleared nicely after raising it up to room temperature for a few days.

yeah, I noticed a hint of sulfur in the Wit yeast half. I actually suspect this as part of the ham flavor. supposedly very brief contact with copper will largely alleviate the sulfur issue. Just a stir with a bit of copper pipe or similar. longer is NOT better.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:12:46 pm »
I get the sulfur in WY 3944 initially, but it generally dissipates after a week or 2 for me.
Jon H.

Offline scottNU

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 09:11:58 am »

looks fine. Personally I would not use that much crystal malt and just do 50% munich 50% wheat but that's me.

I like the idea of having at least 50% wheat in the grist. You may also want to consider adding a handful or two of rice hulls to help with stuck sparge due to high wheat content.

Offline hulkavitch

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 05:00:59 pm »
I like the 50 % idea too. Could call it the half ass munich smash with spices.