Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Harvesting yeast  (Read 3236 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Harvesting yeast
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:23:25 pm »
Want to start re using yeast. What I want to know is if I make a brown ale and harvest the yeast, should I only reuse the yeast from that beer for a similar style? Thanks just got into home brewing at the beginning of the year

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Harvesting yeast
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 02:23:33 pm »
Want to start re using yeast. What I want to know is if I make a brown ale and harvest the yeast, should I only reuse the yeast from that beer for a similar style? Thanks just got into home brewing at the beginning of the year

Nope, you can use it for any style where that's an appropriate yeast.  For example, you could use the yeast from the brown to make a pale ale.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 02:25:42 pm »
I think you're good to go reusing for any beer that the yeast variety is good in. My only personal precaution is to not reuse from high gravity. Obviously if you had an infected batch you wouldn't reuse too.

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 02:47:31 pm »
Maybe just oversize your starter and harvest from that

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 02:59:39 pm »
In general, you should not have a problem going from one style to another when repitching. I have never tried it myself, but it has been suggested that if you go from a very dark/roasty beer to a very light one (i.e., a stout to a blonde) you might notice some carryover. I think a brown ale should be fine going to just about any style.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:45:29 am »
If you are concerned about carryover you can wash the yeast to separate the yeast from the other trub material. I've never had a problem reusing yeast that way.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 07:53:46 am »
I typically build a starter from my harvested yeast, so I don't worry too much about what beer it came from previously.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 03:02:56 pm »
You also start with fresh new babies that way.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:09:06 pm »

+1!  I make a starter 500ml larger than the size starter I need.  If I need a 2L starter, I'll make a 2.5L starter and pour all but 500ml.  Set that extra 500ml in the fridge to let settle.  Take a mason jar with 1/4 - 1/2 filled w/ water and microwave for 2 minutes to sanitize the water and jar.  Put a sanitized lid on the jar and let cool in the fridge.   Then take the extra starter, pour out most of the liquid and leave just enough to mix up the yeast on the bottom and pour into the mason jar and put into the fridge.  Next time I need the yeast, I make another starter and make it 500ml more and repeat the process.  Clean yeast every time and much easier than washing yeast from a carboy.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 04:29:32 pm »

+1!  I make a starter 500ml larger than the size starter I need.  If I need a 2L starter, I'll make a 2.5L starter and pour all but 500ml.  Set that extra 500ml in the fridge to let settle.  Take a mason jar with 1/4 - 1/2 filled w/ water and microwave for 2 minutes to sanitize the water and jar.  Put a sanitized lid on the jar and let cool in the fridge.   Then take the extra starter, pour out most of the liquid and leave just enough to mix up the yeast on the bottom and pour into the mason jar and put into the fridge.  Next time I need the yeast, I make another starter and make it 500ml more and repeat the process.  Clean yeast every time and much easier than washing yeast from a carboy.

Take it one step further and make one big (5 liter?) starter when you get some new yeast. decant and pitch an appropriate volume of slurry and save the rest as you describe, now make a starter from a dollop of that each time you need one and you've got a clean 1st generation population to propagate from.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

cornershot

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 05:20:34 pm »
I find it just as labor intensive to make a starter as it is to harvest from the bottom of the carboy. Top cropping ales is rather easy and yields nothing but pure, clean, 100% viable yeast.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 06:06:52 pm »
Lately if I brew within a few of kegging I just reuse. Otherwise I use 100ml and make a starter. I don't save anything more than a couple weeks, though I know you can.

Offline clef051

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 05:49:19 am »
Be careful going from a smoked beer to a non-smoked beer also.