Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort chiller  (Read 3346 times)

Offline jrp5u

• 1st Kit
Wort chiller
« on: September 23, 2013, 03:05:47 pm »
Any recommendations for a good, affordable submersion wort chiller?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Wort chiller
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 03:22:32 pm »

DIY?

50' coil of either 1/2 or 3/4 ID copper tubing
2 compression fittings with appropriate attachments for your water source.

If you can get the precoiled copper that's really all there is to it. at some point I wrapped some copper wire to hold the whole thing together so it didn't spread out so much when I picked it up but other than that I have used mine for a couple years now. 11 gallons boiling to ~80 in summer in < 30 minutes
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:52:29 pm »
I could tell you where I got one but I don't think that's the issue.  Size, price, materials of construction, fittings, how soon you need it,... I think those are your considerations.

Is the shipping low enough that you should buy it mail order instead of your LHB?

In my state, the taxes are high enough, that I can buy from out of state & save money.  So I buy equipment out of state and food from my LHBS.

good luck

Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

cornershot

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:03:17 pm »
Check these out: http://jadedbrewing.com/

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:47:03 pm »

+1
Trey W.

Offline jrp5u

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:56:26 pm »

DIY?

If you can get the precoiled copper that's really all there is to it. at some point I wrapped some copper wire to hold the whole thing together so it didn't spread out so much when I picked it up but other than that I have used mine for a couple years now. 11 gallons boiling to ~80 in summer in < 30 minutes

Do you think a 1/2 or 3/8 tubbing is better? 3/8 is always more expensive and was unsure why.

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:54:55 pm »
IIRC 3/8 has more surface area to volume so your heat transfer efficiency is better.

Sent from Fermentationland.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:24:19 pm »
A while back I was going to build a 50' 1/2" ic until I found that buying one was cheaper. Copper prices fluctuate like a lot

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:12:37 am »
A while back I was going to build a 50' 1/2" ic until I found that buying one was cheaper. Copper prices fluctuate like a lot

this is true, I happened to score my copper when prices were favorable. All told I put about $40.00 into mine. at the time More Beer was selling a 25' model for 50 or 60. I have heard others say that just the copper was going to cost them around 70. So it matters when you buy.

That being said, I am not a mechanical guy, not stupid about it but not practiced, and I was able to put mine together in about 2 hours.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 08:53:29 am »
This is all very strange.  3/8" tubing is never more expensive than the 1/2" tubing.  The 1/2 " is larger than the 3/8" and will have a larger surface area in contact with the wort, chilling faster. I bought mine 4 months ago and it is the same price today, much cheaper than buying a premade one. 

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:03:53 am »
I think it really depends.  I spent over $100 on my DYI wort chiller.  Granted it is 50 feet but it was not cheap and I have recently seen some really inexpensive chillers.  I could have sworn I just saw an SS chiller for $99....I will try to find the site.

If you go the DYI route, do yourself a favor and get a tube bender.  It is roughly $15 but will save tons of headaches and give you a good looking chiller.  Also...measure twice and bend once.

Good luck.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:08:40 am »
I had set out build my own recirculation chiller like jamils. Went to a local large supply that rhymes with Nome people. If I remember right, all the copper and solder, flux, etc would have been about $50 more than b3 with shipping. I'm still using my DIY 3/8 chiller

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:07:38 am »
Check out fleaBay, 50' x 3/8" chiller for $70 for stainless or copper with all hoses and connectors.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 01:42:04 pm »
If you go the DYI route, do yourself a favor and get a tube bender.  It is roughly $15 but will save tons of headaches and give you a good looking chiller.  Also...measure twice and bend once.

I made mine by taking copper and wrapping it around one of those fat (3 lb, I think) coffee cans.  These days coffee now comes in plastic containers with square cross sections instead of steel circular ones.  A square profile IC might look pretty cool. :)