Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: superfood vs. wyeast nutrient  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
superfood vs. wyeast nutrient
« on: September 24, 2013, 03:08:06 pm »
Recently went to the LHBS and they were out of wyeast (I think that is the brand) yeast nutrient.  So I talked for a bit about an alternative, specifically for a starter and for boil. They suggested superfood, which they indicated would work the same as the blended nutrients from wyeast.

My question is, how much superfood should I use for a 2 liter starter?  1/4 teaspoon? 

Thanks. 
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: superfood vs. wyeast nutrient
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:54:11 am »
I see no one has replied on this - I think a fairly small amount will do at that level, since here is what the manufacturer's website says:

Superfood® is a complete yeast nutrient. By stimulating yeast growth and survival, it can significantly reduce stuck fermentations. Research reveals that the best yeast food is not a single nitrogen source, but a combination of ingredients. Superfood® contains yeast hulls, yeast extracts, vitamins, and minerals.

The yeast hulls provide sterols and survival factors and adsorb toxic fatty acids, particularly decanoic acid, which tend to inhibit yeast growth. Diammonium phosphate is a basic nitrogen source and helps prevent Hydrogen Sulfide production.

Superfood® is not implicated in urethane (ethyl carbamate) formation. Yeast extracts contain amino acids, making them a rich food source, and vitamins and minerals, which are essential to vigorous yeast growth. Together these ingredients create an excellent, balanced nutrient for yeast.

Superfood® is recommended for both grape and non-grape musts, cider and beer. It is especially useful for musts that have a history of sluggish fermentation or Hydrogen Sulfide production. Superfood® is most effective in preventing stuck fermentations when added with yeast inoculation. It may also be added once fermentation starts to help prevent Hydrogen Sulfide formation. Superfood® is certified Kosher, except Passover.
Usage & Storage:
4-8 lb per 1000 gallons of must. Nutrient deficient must may benefit from the addition of extra diammonium phosphate. To help restart a stuck fermentation, add 1 lb per 1000 gallons when the wine is reinoculated with fresh yeast. This product is hygroscopic and should be stored cool and dry.

So your measurement sounds sufficient at first glance.  I don't think it will harm the starter to be a bit high or low.  It is mainly yeast that has autolyzed and DAP, with probably some zinc.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:46:24 pm »
Here is a PDF about mead and Staggered Nutrient Addition and the EFFECTIVE!!!
use of this product.  Just the SNA process alone really speeds up mead ferementation.
Credit to hightest as requested. He did a lot of good work to get this info.
http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/SNAddition.pdf
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:54:40 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:56:05 pm »
Sounds good, but note that the data is for Mead,cider or perry, rather than beer wort...YMMV
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 07:24:27 am »
duly noted but to the O.P. having little data I was just putting more info out there. YMMV
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.