Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Bottles vs Used  (Read 5896 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New Bottles vs Used
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 12:58:24 pm »
I see the point JZ's making. However, clean the bottles promptly and don't let mold grow in the base of the bottle. Voila! Problem solved!

Worse comes to worse some PBW would do the trick.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 11:23:56 am »
Recycling commerical bottles is the way to go.  Even the commercial brewers used to do it where I grew up in WI.  All of the local brewers/beers used to come in cases of "returnables" that would go back to the brewery get cleaned, sanitized, and refilled (Leinenkugel, Huber, Point, Potosi, Rhienlander).  Purchasing new glass bottles is much less fun than purchasing craft beer, drinking it, and then having a bottle to recycle. 
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 12:14:15 pm »
Well as a natural progression of thought concerning this thread: what should a new bottle cost per type and size?

The LHBS sells 22's for a dollar apiece :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline cojeep636

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 01:36:08 pm »
12's seem to be around 13/case.

I'd personally pay double that, and get new belgium in those bottles as a case qty of new Belgium around here is $26.

There are cheaper beers, but they are THICK good quality bottles.

Any better analysis that someone has?

Offline lrovira

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 03:25:17 pm »
commercial beer bottles are good... I have around 3 cases of Hoegaarnden, about one case of Paulaner 500ml bottles, a few fliptops like Bernaard from Czech Republic (good beer)... this is what I use... believe me... it is a good initial investment... and if you accidentally break one... you can always buy a good beer and re-use the bottle.

Cheers !!!