Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using yeast from a blow off as a top crop.  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Chavez324

• 1st Kit
Using yeast from a blow off as a top crop.
« on: September 24, 2013, 03:08:59 pm »
Was wondering if anyone has tried to use yeast that accumulated in their blow off container. Mine is in a container full of Star  san and figured it may not be a good idea to try to grow it..

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Using yeast from a blow off as a top crop.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »
Was wondering if anyone has tried to use yeast that accumulated in their blow off container. Mine is in a container full of Star  san and figured it may not be a good idea to try to grow it..

You could try it. a lot of the cells will be dead from the star san though.

Try replacing the star san with boiled, cooled water and that should work just fine. You would want to discard the first bit as that will have a lot of the nasty brown gunk.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »
Check T Schmidlin's article, "Yeast Recovery System" in the Gadget's Issue of Jan/Feb 2011 Zymurgy
AHA Member 900001775

cornershot

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 03:58:26 pm »
This is how I top crop yeast from a carboy. My sanitized blowoff tube feeds into a sanitized 2 quart jar with a lid fitted with 2 bungs. One bung for the out end of the blowoff tube, the other for an airlock. I discard the brown yeast that comes out first and keep the rest. The part of the blowoff on the carboy end is fitted with a shortened racking cane so I can get down near the surface of the fermenting beer and collect what I need for the next batch. Sorry no pictures. Hope my description is sufficient.