Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping  (Read 3457 times)

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
Dry hopping
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:12:33 pm »
I have only brewed like 5 or 6 all grain batches. I just brewed an APA that I got help on the grain bill from here, thanks very much. I'm going to dry hop now that it is done fermenting. I'm using .75oz of cascade that are dried whole hops and .50oz of Columbus(Tomahawk). My question is how long should I dry hop for, just not sure since I have never dried hopped before. Thanks for any help

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Dry hopping
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 01:41:42 pm »
I think the "received wisdom" is to dry hop only 2-3 days before bottling to minimize polyphenols/grassiness from the hops.  I tend mostly to keg and I am quite happy to leave hops in cold, serving kegs until the keg kicks; I haven't noticed any grassiness.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 01:44:40 pm »
I usually dry hop in the fermenter for a week or two, than add more to the leg which stay in for as long as the keg is on tap...2-3 months.  I have never gotten the fabled off flavors.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 02:01:00 pm »
I usually dry hop in the fermenter for a week or two, than add more to the leg which stay in for as long as the keg is on tap...2-3 months.  I have never gotten the fabled off flavors.
+1.  Same thing I do.
Jon H.

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 02:23:35 pm »
Thanks everyone for the input.one more thing do the amounts look like enough or would u add more and of what.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:34:32 pm »
Your amounts seem reasonable, perhaps on the low end, but I can't really say without knowing the rest of the hopping schedule.  Ultimately, if you add the amounts of hops you are suggesting and find that you want more hop aroma, you can add more hops to the fermenter.

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 03:18:26 pm »
here is the recipe I used
10lbs 12oz Pale malt(2row)
8oz Caramel/crystal Malt-40L
8oz munich malt-10L
.50oz Cllumbus(Tomahawk)-boil 60 min
1oz Centennial-boil 10 min
.20oz Cascade-boil 10 min
.20oz Cascade-boil 0 min
.20oz Centennial(Tomahawk)-boil 0 min
That's all I have in so far and just wondering if the amounts I said earlier for the dry hope are good.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 04:14:57 pm »
I normally dry hop 2 oz for an APA.  As said dry hops are all about personal preference, so the amount can be a tough thing to advise on.  I dry hop for ~ 7 days, then keg with maybe another oz or so in a weighted nylon bag. I sometimes cut off the foot end of a pair of pantyhose for this. I say use what you have this time, take good notes when you try it, and you'll have a better idea how to adjust from there next time.
Jon H.

coastsidemike

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 07:02:15 pm »
I like 2 to 4 oz per 5-6 gallons in PA/IPA brews and am yet to say that I added too much hops.  It affects both aroma and flavor, I add after racking and leave it in until bottling.  The one thing I would suggest is dry-hopping one type at a time so you can get an understanding for the flavor profile.  Some blends need time to smooth out while some beers loose the hop aroma over time, so experiment and sample as you go.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:28:55 pm »
I've followed many of the advisors above. My APA gets 2oz my IPA gets 4. I put them in a mesh bag and into the keg at kegging time. I used to pull them after 4 days but now I pull them when I blow the keg. If I was bottling I would dry hop in the primary for 7 days after I hit terminal gravity

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 09:53:00 pm »
I use 0.5-1 oz per gallon for dry hops in my APA's and 1-2 oz/gal in my IPA's. I throw them in loose into the fermenter, and let them sit at ale fermentation temps (60's F) for 7-10 days.

When its time to bottle I line my bottling bucket with a paint strainer bag to catch any hop debris that passes through the siphon. I then let it sit for a couple of hours to let a lot of the fine particles drop below the level of the spigot. This keeps most of the hop debris out of the bottles.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

coastsidemike

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 10:21:29 am »
When its time to bottle I line my bottling bucket with a paint strainer bag to catch any hop debris that passes through the siphon. I then let it sit for a couple of hours to let a lot of the fine particles drop below the level of the spigot. This keeps most of the hop debris out of the bottles.

That last bit of hop debris:  I bottle that as well, as it'll settle. After a month it's one bottle that's got a strong hop profile.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 02:55:01 pm »
As you can see everyone has their own process! So here's mine- I go 5-7 days only for dry hopping and very rarely go less than 3 oz for Pales and more for IPAs and schedule my dry hop to be complete when I'm ready to package, be it keg or bottle. I dry hop directly in primary and place a filter over my racking cane when I transfer to package to keep the hops out. I've never dry hopped in the keg but am planning to give it a try soon.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010