Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blue Reptile Bulb in Fermentation Chamber  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
Blue Reptile Bulb in Fermentation Chamber
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:17:23 pm »
So, it is starting to get rather cool around here, especially at night.  My fermentation chamber has been hitting the mid-50s in the evening.  I have a digital Johnson A419 but have it on the cooling portion and wanted to figure out a heating source to keep it in range.

Anyways, I recently purchased a cone lamp fixture and a 60 watt blue incandescent bulb from a local pet store.  I have left it on for a day and the bulb really heats up the freezer rather well, but.... I am a little worried about the light that it puts off.  It is a soft blue light but I know its still putting off UV and UVA rays (as indicated by the box).  Any suggestions on another alternative or ideas on having a blue bulb rather than a typical white bulb?  Should I not be too worried with the blue bulb?

This bulb will get the freezer working a little more than usual but better than stalled fermentations.

Thanks!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Blue Reptile Bulb in Fermentation Chamber
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 09:29:07 pm »
Get a reptile warming rock instead. No light.

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:44:09 pm »
I use a heat pad, like for your back. Get an old one without the auto shut off switch

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:51:04 pm »
Sounds good. I might go with the heat rock because the lamp is putting way too much heat out and the freezer is kicking in full blast only to settle in the high 50s. Figuring out the best solution has been a head ache. Finally just moved the beer inside...for now.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 05:03:51 pm »
How about an Aquarium Heater in a bottle of water for ambient temperature control?  They even have a temp control built in!
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 05:19:11 pm »
How about an Aquarium Heater in a bottle of water for ambient temperature control?  They even have a temp control built in!

I have used aquarium heaters in water baths to keep beer warm when fermenting during the winter. I used a big tote with a whole cut in the lid to accommodate the fermenter. I wouldn't recommend using it in a freezer or ferm chamber, the warm water makes everything musty.

Sounds good. I might go with the heat rock because the lamp is putting way too much heat out and the freezer is kicking in full blast only to settle in the high 50s. Figuring out the best solution has been a head ache. Finally just moved the beer inside...for now.

Are you using a dual stage controller or do you have the freezer and heat lamp operating independently?

Edit --- re-read your original post. I would recommend using a dual stage controller. It will handle all of the work for you. Or, you could use a reptile thermostat to set the rock/bulb/whatever to a maximum temperature.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:24:09 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 05:32:08 pm »
Yeah.  I need to look at a dual stage controller.  Just purchased the Johnson A419 so i may just have to utilize it for a future kegarator and get a ranco for the chamber.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 06:00:11 pm »
Yeah.  I need to look at a dual stage controller.  Just purchased the Johnson A419 so i may just have to utilize it for a future kegarator and get a ranco for the chamber.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

If you are handy, you could build a contoller with an stc-1000. A build can run between $30-40. I use one an love it.