Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Calling All Metallurgists!  (Read 5259 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Calling All Metallurgists!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 09:58:01 am »
OK, beer turned black and so did the bearings.  Can I put them in to a zip lock and go that route or was that just a $30 experiment gone awfully wrong???   :'(

Yes, but how did it taste?

Dude, it was nasty looking.  It smelled like liquid metallic pale ale.   :o
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 12:02:14 pm »
Seems like a lot of work for something that has negligible benefit.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »
And really glad I posted and got your advice Jeff.  That would have ruined a good beer and a lot of hops.......

Whoa! Like I said not a metallurgist, but thought give it a try in a glass as an experiment just to see. Glad it saved you some angst over ruined beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 03:34:24 pm »
Seems like a lot of work for something that has negligible benefit.

You know me, I like to tinker! 
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 03:36:21 pm »
And really glad I posted and got your advice Jeff.  That would have ruined a good beer and a lot of hops.......

Whoa! Like I said not a metallurgist, but thought give it a try in a glass as an experiment just to see. Glad it saved you some angst over ruined beer.

I have one wrapped in water weld curing now.  Will try it out when I get home on Thursday.  Or maybe I'll just buy a handful of SS pipe fittings........or marbles.
Dave Zach

Offline edward

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 08:24:20 pm »
52100 typically has a Cr content of ~1.5% - good for heat treating but doesn't do a lot for corrosion resistance.  Use a 304 or 316 stainless or a non-metal.....like marbles (any glass or ceramic will work too!).

I use marbles, a chunk of 304 stainless, or an old keg post that I snapped the pins off while trying to remove it.

BTW your beer turned black because the pH is low enough to etch the steel.  When steel is etched it turns...black.

When my company isn't paying me to answer emails and go to meetings I spend time being a metallurgist.   :D

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 12:27:56 am »

I have one wrapped in water weld curing now.  Will try it out when I get home on Thursday.  Or maybe I'll just buy a handful of SS pipe fittings........or marbles.

The wife is going to pick up more of the glass beads she uses to weigh down flower vases. Those are real cheap. One other usewill be to keep meads up to the neck of the carboy.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 03:23:20 pm »
52100 typically has a Cr content of ~1.5% - good for heat treating but doesn't do a lot for corrosion resistance.  Use a 304 or 316 stainless or a non-metal.....like marbles (any glass or ceramic will work too!).

I use marbles, a chunk of 304 stainless, or an old keg post that I snapped the pins off while trying to remove it.

BTW your beer turned black because the pH is low enough to etch the steel.  When steel is etched it turns...black.

When my company isn't paying me to answer emails and go to meetings I spend time being a metallurgist.   :D

WOW!  Talk about the guy I was looking for in the title!  Thanks....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 03:26:27 pm »
The Water Weld seems to have worked.  It's been sitting in beer for 3 days and it still smells and looks like beer!  It is non-toxic once cured so I think I'll wrap the other one and then vacuum seal them.  That should do the trick.

Dave
Dave Zach