Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does Pine = Dank?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Does Pine = Dank?
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:09:37 pm »
I have been taking my IPAs in the direction of fruity hops (Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo), but I recently tried a new IPA the Blue Moon 'Pine in the Neck" IPA.  I really enjoyed it and would like to clone it.

I keep hearing about 'Dank' hops.  Is that the same thing as 'Piney' hops?  I get the whole resiny thing but still not sure how to sort it out.

Also, if anyone wants to offer a good Pine/Dank IPA recipe I'd be pleased to see it!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

cornershot

Re: Does Pine = Dank?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:21:50 pm »
Pine does not=dank. But there is some overlap. Chinook and Simcoe come to mind as both piney and dank. But mainly dank hops like Apollo and CTZ have no pine. There's a good Jamil show on "The Dankness" that covers dank hops for an IPA.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Does Pine = Dank?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 10:56:09 pm »
The general use of dank in reference to hops typically equates to a cannabis-like aroma. Columbus it pretty much the poster child for dank hops. Not all CTZ is the same, but when I get a whiff of some good ones it pretty much makes me want to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNLcXj5yR68
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer