Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing/Aging Beer  (Read 1892 times)

Offline paloaf

• 1st Kit
Storing/Aging Beer
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:50:16 pm »
I recently starting brewing more and more lagers and I'm running into a storage quandry.  I keg all of my beers and counterpressure fill to bottles for parties and competitions.  I want to age some of my bigger beers (doppelbock, dunkel, etc.) to see how the flavors develop over 6 months to a year.  I could keep the beer in kegs but I only have so much cold space. Would bottling the beers to, keep 4-6 of each kind on hand in the fridge, cause them to age differently than they would in the keg?  My main concern is that sediment will accumulate in each bottle and then be roused if I were to enter into any competitions.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Storing/Aging Beer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 02:05:51 pm »
I recently starting brewing more and more lagers and I'm running into a storage quandry.  I keg all of my beers and counterpressure fill to bottles for parties and competitions.  I want to age some of my bigger beers (doppelbock, dunkel, etc.) to see how the flavors develop over 6 months to a year.  I could keep the beer in kegs but I only have so much cold space. Would bottling the beers to, keep 4-6 of each kind on hand in the fridge, cause them to age differently than they would in the keg?  My main concern is that sediment will accumulate in each bottle and then be roused if I were to enter into any competitions.

I think that would be fine. I don't find a lot of sediment in bottles filled from a keg. That being said, it's also fine to leave it in the keg it doesn't need to be cold, just not hot.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:47:44 pm »
Either way would work fine and it would depend on your storage capability, I would assume a few bottles is easier than full kegs:) The cold storage will yield you a crystal clear beer over less time than cellar temps or above but either way is fine.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:15:22 pm »
If the beer is clear going into the bottles, there is no reason it won't be equally clear, or clearer coming out.

Offline paloaf

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  I'm going to bottle finish up the rest of my Doppelbock (tastes great) but bottle a few before it's totally gone.  I'll throw those in the back of the fridge and forget about them.