Author Topic: Star anise?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline haasfilm

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Star anise?
« on: September 26, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »
I'm planning to make a rough clone of Stone's Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout. I'm going to use Stone's recipe for their RIS (http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201/), use WY 3522 Ardennes, and star anise. I've never used anise and am guessing I should add it toward the end of the boil (5, 1 minute?). I can imagine it would easy to overdo the anise and make black licorice beer   . I'm curious to know if anyone has tried that beer, and thoughts on how much to use? It comes in 1 oz. packages, so I wouldn't think anything MORE than that, maybe .5? Thoughts?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Re: Star anise?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
Don't know about that beer. I did make a Baltic Porter with 2 star anise in 10 gallons, and that was right for
that beer.  Don't us the full ounce.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• Brewmaster General
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »
+1.  Less is definitely more with star anise or any spice IMO.  I've tried it and the anise is there but doesn't beat you over the head. I prefer their regular RIS truthfully.   I used to make pumpkin ales and got tired of much( if any) spice in beer. Anyway, the 3522 is a great strain - you'll like the results.
Jon H.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
I did make a Baltic Porter with 2 star anise in 10 gallons

You mean 2 of the pods? Is that like 2 grams?
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank

Fermenting: McChouffe clone, Samiclaus clone
Conditioning: Belgian Tripel, Barrel Aged Baltic Porter - in sherry barrel, Belgain Easter Ale
On tap: CAP, Dortmunder Export, IIPA, Dubbel Chocolate Stout, Wee Heavy, Whiskey barrel aged Wee Heavy, Baltic Porter
Newly Bottled:

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
2 of the 'whole stars'.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline cfleisher

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • Brews Reporter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:20:31 PM »
1 star per 5 gallons is what I've heard. I used 1 star for last 5 minutes of the boil in a 5 gallon batch of Belgian Strong, and it provided a hint of flavor without being immediately identifiable.
Primary: Jalapeno porter
Secondary: doppelbock

Offline yso191

• Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 06:43:08 AM »
On a recent Belgian Dark Strong I used 2 whole stars in 5 gallons.  It is not too much, but it is close to too much.  A good friend who tastes my beer critically did not pick out the flavor immediately, but as soon as I mentioned it, he didn't have to go 'hunting for it' either.

So I guess I would say it depends on how big the rest of the beer is.  If lighter, I'd go with one - if heavier I'd go with two.
Steve

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »
I used one whole star in a 5 gallon Christmas beer a few years ago and it was too much for me.  However, I'm not big on spiced beers and that was the last one I made until just this year when my wife asked for a pumpkin ale.  YMMV.

EDIT: I probably should say that others loved that beer and it was quite popular at holiday parties.  Just not my thing.  So maybe one star per 5 gallons is an appropriate level.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jweiss206

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »
Whatever you do, don't have a few too many while you're brewing and make this mistake.

As called on from the Dark Night Tangerine Porter Recipe from Mosher's Radical Brewing book -

1 oz (28 g)    Crushed coriander
.5 tsp (2 g)    Ground Star Anise

I mistakenly read 1 oz Ground Star Anise rather than the significantly smaller amount of .5 tsp. Needless to say the beer was appropriately renamed, The Anise Blaster.

Offline aphid_rancher

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »
In my experience using anise a couple of times as my beer aged the anise stayed strong for many months. The licorice  became more pronounced compared to other ingredients for about 8-9 months and then settled in nicely. If you want just a hint of licorice in the background then use one star or less and drink it early or in a year. Actually, you should have at least one per month till gone for educational purposes and share the during the months it is at its best.