Author Topic: HLT or Mash Tun  (Read 1300 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
HLT or Mash Tun
« on: September 26, 2013, 11:22:54 PM »
Was online looking for the best place to buy a cooler for my MLT. Walmart sells 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers for $45 bucks. That is a hard deal to pass up. The best part about this is you can do the free site to store pick up. Sure beats paying $75-$90 for the same cooler anywhere else. Just thought everyone would like to know

Online beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
Re: HLT or Mash Tun
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:40:39 AM »
Look for Coleman Xtreme 52qt. Good for 5 gallon batches. I use a 36qt Coleman Xtreme, got it for $40 on Amazon. Don't give your money to Wal-Mart.
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Offline jeffy

• Brewmaster General
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 06:16:12 AM »
Look for Coleman Xtreme 52qt. Good for 5 gallon batches. I use a 36qt Coleman Xtreme, got it for $40 on Amazon. Don't give your money to Wal-Mart.

Words to live by.  I also try not to give my money to Amazon. ;)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »
Home Depot has the round Rubbermaid 10g cooler for $44.87 normal price as well. Get a kettle you can heat as your HLT, not a cooler.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewer
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • View Profile
    • BrewArk
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »
Kmart has the 52qt Coleman xtreme for $33.24 (down from their regular price of $34.99).  I've seen them go down to $29 earlier in the season @ both Sears and Kmart.

Shop around.

I too would use a pot I could heat for a HLT.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 01:26:58 PM »
I advise getting a rectangular, not round, cooler.  You get more capacity for your money that way.  I've built a few mashtuns to sell in the last couple weeks, and I'm paying $36 for a 70 qt. Coleman Extreme cooler.  Then to set it up and use it, see www.dennybrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline jaftak22

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »
I have been reading a lot about the different coolers to use for my MLT. I think I am gonna go with a rectangular cooler and use the 5 gallon round cooler as my HLT. Maybe one day when I am rich and famous (i.e. not having three small expensive children) I will go with keggles for everything. Just happy to finally be getting into all grain. I have a question. For any of you who use keggles, I made one myself. Do you guys cool the wort in it or do you transfer it out of the kettle and then use a wort chiller. It just seems like the keg would take a while to cool down. Unless you use a hose or something to spray the outside of it down to cool it off.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
I have been reading a lot about the different coolers to use for my MLT. I think I am gonna go with a rectangular cooler and use the 5 gallon round cooler as my HLT. Maybe one day when I am rich and famous (i.e. not having three small expensive children) I will go with keggles for everything. Just happy to finally be getting into all grain. I have a question. For any of you who use keggles, I made one myself. Do you guys cool the wort in it or do you transfer it out of the kettle and then use a wort chiller. It just seems like the keg would take a while to cool down. Unless you use a hose or something to spray the outside of it down to cool it off.

I use my IM in the (keg) kettle.  I assure you, you don't want to have to deal with xferring just boiled wort!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline leejoreilly

• Cellarman
  • Washington, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:49:52 AM »

I use my IM in the (keg) kettle.  I assure you, you don't want to have to deal with xferring just boiled wort!

I brew in my kitchen on a gas stove, so rather than one large kettle, I use two smaller ones. Before I chill, I move my wort to my fermenter (Ale Pail), which is lined with a paint strainer bag. So I'm only moving something less than 3 gal at a time; not ideal but better than over 5 gal at a time. I figure that my cooling has to be a bit more efficient for not having to cool the thermal mass of the kettles and the hot trub.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 09:08:38 AM »
I brew in my kitchen on a gas stove, so rather than one large kettle, I use two smaller ones. Before I chill, I move my wort to my fermenter (Ale Pail), which is lined with a paint strainer bag. So I'm only moving something less than 3 gal at a time; not ideal but better than over 5 gal at a time. I figure that my cooling has to be a bit more efficient for not having to cool the thermal mass of the kettles and the hot trub.

OTOH, you risk HSA by xferring wort over 180F.

www.dennybrew.com

Online morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 09:13:02 AM »

GASP! Not HSA!!!!!!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline mugwort

• Cellarman
  • Baby T Aleworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »

GASP! Not HSA!!!!!!

I'd be worried about hot plastic leaching.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...
Hellhound (stout on pasillas) 9% * Heatstroke Belgian IPA 7.5% * Quado 3 Belgian Dark Strong 10% * Browneyes Belgian Porter (on cacao and coffee nibs) 6.5% * Monkey's Uncle V Witbier 5% * Belgian Blonde with goji berries 7% * Heatstroke IPA 7.5% * Stone Age Belgian Stout 9.5% * Ziggurat Dark Sour 10%

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 11:13:56 AM »
GASP! Not HSA!!!!!!

Yeah, it CAN happen....personal experience.

www.dennybrew.com

Online morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »
GASP! Not HSA!!!!!!

Yeah, it CAN happen....personal experience.

cool! that may be the first I have heard. I have not noticed it but there could be other explanations for that. I only have one kettle large enough to heat the sparge water for a 11 gallon batch so when I sparge I run off first runnings into buckets and then pour them into the kettle to boil. But I guess that is pre-boil and the risks would be mitigated by the boil driving off o2.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline leejoreilly

• Cellarman
  • Washington, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 07:12:29 AM »

True, but I've never experienced it; lesser of the evils, I guess.