Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Directly heating Erlenmeyer flasks  (Read 30130 times)

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
  • You can call me John. (Portland, OR.)
Directly heating Erlenmeyer flasks
« on: September 27, 2013, 12:41:02 pm »
Hey Homebrewers, I've got a question for ya'.

I'm wondering how safe it is to boil the wort in my Erlenmeyer flasks (for a starter). I know the glass has a low coefficient for expansion like Pyrex, but I see a lot of mixed advice online and in person.

Some websites advise against directly heating it at all, and some do. When I asked a brewer/employee at a LHBS he advised me to not use an electric coil stove because it creates cold gaps between the metal coils in the glass, and said heating on a gas stove or electric induction stove would be just fine. Before I heard that, I had actually heated on an electric coil stove and didn't notice any problems. Since looking into this matter I have heated my flask on a gas stove and haven't noticed any problem signs, either. (So I've only boiled wort directly in the flask twice).

I figured I'd ask the brightest minds in the brewing community for guidance, so thanks for your time everyone.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  - Frank Zappa

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Directly heating Erlenmeyer flasks
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 12:53:55 pm »
I have a glass cooktop on my stove and boil every yeast starter on it.  No issues.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:54:58 pm »
I've boiled a 2L on a gas stove (quick boil-over too). 

I think I'd be hesitant on an electric, for the reason you outlined.  My mother used to place a wire ring on the element and put her pyrex on top of that.  She never had a problem, but that's all the guarantee I can give you.

In the lab we use hotplate/stirrers regularly.  They have ceramic tops.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:57:40 pm »
I have a glass cooktop on my stove and boil every yeast starter on it.  No issues.

Same here.  I only stopped because I find it easier to stir up the clumps and prevent boilovers in a pot and then pour through a sanitized funnel into the erlenmeyer flask than boiling in the flask itself, even with Fermcap-S.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:01:22 pm »
I have a 2L flask which I have boiled wort starters in, on an electric stove, several dozens of times with no problems.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
  • You can call me John. (Portland, OR.)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 01:03:46 pm »
Well, all right! This has relieved some of my apprehensions, for sure.

Though I still would enjoy hearing more opinions and experiences!
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  - Frank Zappa

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 02:25:05 pm »
I treid it a couple times and finally decide that for me it was easier to boil in a pot and xfer after boiling.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 03:35:21 pm »
A friend had one crack after multiple uses on an electric stove.  After that, continued to use the electric stove, but did not use full power any more.  No more problems yet. 

Still, be prepared to deal with boiling liquid in cracked/broken glass if you choose to boil in it.  No kids/pets in the area.  Have a means of grabbing the hot flask and moving it to a safe location (a large pot, sink, etc.).  And probably want to wear some decent footwear.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

narvin

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 06:05:35 pm »
I've been using the same flask for at least 5 years on a gas stove with no issues.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 07:25:04 pm »
I have been using mine on a gas stove with no issues for many years and once boiled goes right into a cold water bath to chill-no issues but I have friends that used electric coils and it cracked:(
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 07:54:59 pm »
I have a ceramic cooktop with no issues...other than a bad boil over (twice) :o  If you are really concerned with using your electric stove maybe do a double boiler.  Fill a bigger pot with water and put the flask inside of it? Obviously will take a little longer but it will work nicely.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 10:05:58 pm »
Tried once and it shattered. Won't try again. Coils...

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 12:55:15 pm »
Never insert cold stir bar to boiling wort in Erlingmeyer flask.

Personal experience.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 01:46:00 pm »
I boil in my flask on a gas stove sometimes. No problems. It's typically easier for me to boil in a pot and transfer.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 02:07:10 pm »
I think there are some cheaply manufactured "Pyrex" flasks out there, but most and especially older ones are fine.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958