Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to tell volumes in opaque vessels  (Read 5604 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: How to tell volumes in opaque vessels
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 08:50:36 pm »
MY method still works, just change BK to Keg.  Nice length of SS that can be sterilized would work well
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline sprider1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 09:56:04 pm »
if i understand the question  about  guessitamating  the vol.
 a cyl  you take ID   sq   x length in  inches   x .7854 divided  by 231  will give you gal in cyl.
Then the cone is  ID Sq  x 1/3 length in inches    times  .7854 divided by 231  wlil give the gal in the  cone and add the two together.
--ie-- look at sweat  mark  the liquid has  made on   the outside  and  get tape measure out and you can figure how  many gal  you  have.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 11:35:58 am »
How about filling through the liquid out tube (fill from the bottom) then hook up a tube to the gas in post (to release pressure as it fills). Put the tube in a glass and stop transferring when beer comes out.
This is essentially how I fill kegs at the brewery.  The main difference is it is through sanke fittings and the beer is carbonated so I am looking for foam coming out.  It is also chilled, so I can feel the side of the keg and feel the liquid level.

I have done it with a scale as well, but don't prefer that method.

By the way, I have a thing similar to the keg gauge you saw, it is for propane tanks.  It works the same way and would work on a keg, although the magnet probably won't stick.  Even if it did though, I think they are too annoying to use and would not buy another one.
http://www.amazon.com/GrillPro-00030-Magnetic-Level-Indicator/dp/B000FHZ33C/
Tom Schmidlin