Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning Old Used Kegging Equipment  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Cleaning Old Used Kegging Equipment
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:12:12 pm »
So my Brewbuddy and i where gifted a 5-8yr old Keg Fridge with all the hardware and taps.  Ive tossed all the old hoses and all the fittings have been disassembled and are soaking in PBW.  My problem is what to do about the regulator.  Its kind of crusty and has some verdigris on some of the brass.  Is there anything i can/should do to this thing before i start using it?  Id rather not have a failure that can cause issues when we arnt around.

Cheers,
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

cornershot

Re: Cleaning Old Used Kegging Equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 07:12:23 pm »
I don't have an answer for you. I happen to have the exact same issue. Gifted a crusty regulator, dirty faucets with flaking chrome, etc. I do know regulators can be rebuilt.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:16:41 pm »
Well it still works, but i would hate to have the damn thing shatter or some such under pressure and turn into beer ruining shrapnel and hurt someone.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:58:57 am »
If it is working there isn't much you really need to do.  You can scrub it with a soft scrubby.  I would not use anything seriously abrasive.

You can put your mind at ease about it becoming a grenade though.  Regulators typically don't explode.  Long before the metal failed the diaphragm would start to leak and your CO2 tank would be empty.

If you clean it up and make it all shiny you will need to coat it with oil or a sealant to prevent future corrosion.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 07:18:29 am »
A couple of years ago, I bought an old refrigerator (so old the users manual was on clay tablets) that had been drilled for a faucet and had a set of Sankey connections, a old regulator and a CO2 tank. One of the things that I did was to buy a rebuild kit for the regulator that replaced all of the seals, rings and diaphragm. It was easy job and the regulator has been operating perfectly since. It seems to me that the kit only cost $10 or $15 or so.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:40:29 am »
I agree, rebuild the regulator, it is cheap and easy to do.  You can (and should) clean off the verdigris with vinegar or other mild acid, then rinse and dry it.  Don't soak it or the metal will start to pit.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 03:51:13 pm »
OK thanks guys, any idea who would sell a regulator rebuild kit?

cornershot

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 03:59:29 pm »
My lhbs has one for $15.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 04:42:22 pm »
My lhbs has one for $15.

Considering im currently working at my LHBS i know that dont;) anyone else? lol

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 01:18:32 am »
If you don't have another shop around, you could go with an online place:
http://morebeer.com/products/regulator-rebuild-kit.html

You could also check with your CO2 supply place, they were able to send me to a nearby repair shop to get one.

Make sure you get the right kind for your regulator, there are a couple of different ones.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 06:12:10 am »
Havent found a place to fill my CO2 tanks that is local yet, still a work in progress.  Thus far we have only been bottling beer. 

Offline jjdura

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 07:49:57 am »
You can always try a welding shop, or the local shop that handles/recharges fire extinguishers.  They will usually accommodate homebrewers with their little tanks  :)

Havent found a place to fill my CO2 tanks that is local yet, still a work in progress.  Thus far we have only been bottling beer. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:49:59 am »
Try asking your local pop distributor

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 03:54:40 pm »
Found a place.  Its the fire extinguisher company a town over.  ill go check out prices when i get a chance.  i havent been overly motivated to get CO2 because we dont have anything ready to get kegged yet, that will change shortly:)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:19:32 pm by Jeff M »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 04:02:14 pm »
Depending on where you live, you could look for a place that does paint ball refills.

Gas supplier is more convenient for me as I'd have to leave the city for paint ball equipment.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton