Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny the Elder: Worth the 45 minute drive?  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
  • You can call me John. (Portland, OR.)
Pliny the Elder: Worth the 45 minute drive?
« on: September 27, 2013, 02:26:17 pm »
I'm a more recent AHA member and I saw that Pliny the Elder was nominated best beer in America for Five Straight Years?!? I live in Oregon (and even close to Portland) but for some reason I can only find Pliny on tap at a pub 45 minutes from where I live. I can assume, but I wanted to ask if you all thought it was worth the drive.

Thanks for your time, Ladies & Gents.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  - Frank Zappa

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Pliny the Elder: Worth the 45 minute drive?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 02:41:14 pm »
just for that? nah. I live about 1.35 hours from Russian rivers pub and have yet to go. Have had Pliney and it's good. but it's just another IIPA. I'd even go so far as to say I have had better. Living near Portland I would guess you to could have better.

I'm always a little surprised at how much hype there is around RR's hoppy beers. I can see the reason for the hype around the sours but the hoppy beers are... hoppy. Generally well balanced and very well made. Pliney does not drink like a 8%+ beer
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 02:52:39 pm »
I would.  45 minutes is nothing.  People around here drive hours to The Alchemist (2 hours for me) to get a case of Heady Topper ( aka East Coast Pliny). 

I drive 45 minutes for my homebrew club meetings, dinner, and halfway home out of Boston on a Friday rush hour (when I used to work there).

Mort...there's only hype for the people who can't get it ;)...that and those damned beer rating sites!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:24:48 pm »
Mort - it was on tap in some of the Philly bars.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:55:21 pm »
http://portland.taphunter.com/beer/Russian-River-Pliny-The-Elder

Are you aware of that site^^^

Pliny the Elder-my favorite description,  "a license to print money"

IMO an excellent beer, but it's the driving home that makes me vote no.

Offline djsanta

• Cellarman
  • "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks"
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 04:31:17 pm »
Get a few friends together and make a day of it.  I'd hope that there are other things to do in that area worth the drive.  Find something cool to do then use the excuse of "since I'm in town" and have a couple pints of Pliny!
On Tap: nada
Conditioning: nada
Fermenting: Mexican Lager
Planned: Doppelbock or Weizenbock, Oatmeal Stout, DIPA

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 04:35:29 pm »
I would.  45 minutes is nothing.  People around here drive hours to The Alchemist (2 hours for me) to get a case of Heady Topper ( aka East Coast Pliny). 

I drive 45 minutes for my homebrew club meetings, dinner, and halfway home out of Boston on a Friday rush hour (when I used to work there).

Mort...there's only hype for the people who can't get it ;)...that and those damned beer rating sites!

I also would not drive from Bristol to Waterbury to get a heady topper. Maybe a case of it but not to go to a pub and have a glass. (disclaimer: I have not had a Heady Topper yet and if I find myself near the alchemist next trip back east I will try one.) I did drive right around 45 minutes to go to the Alchemist for dinner back when they were a pub. dinner (with fries and homemade ketchup) and a drink is worth the drive. Just a drink? not for me.
Get a few friends together and make a day of it.  I'd hope that there are other things to do in that area worth the drive.  Find something cool to do then use the excuse of "since I'm in town" and have a couple pints of Pliny!

+1 to this
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 05:18:18 pm »
Yes, you must go on this great pilgrimage!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:32:01 pm by dls5492 »
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 05:30:52 pm »
Based on the quality of the beer, it's absolutely worth the drive.  But I got a room nearby and didn't have to worry about driving far.  45 minutes of driving after a few DIPAs is begging for trouble.  Gotta say though, I had IPAs and DIPAs from a few other breweries in CA that I thought were very comparable in quality,ie., Alpine, Bear Republic, Ballast Point. All great breweries.
Jon H.

Offline Mike V. Sardina

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 06:02:25 pm »
I feel that part of the idea behind Zymurgy's Best Beer in America list is just this -- to get folks excited about seeking out and trying well-acclaimed beers that they might not otherwise make the efforts to do so.

There are, naturally, limits to the amount of time and resources that one should devote to try and taste any one specific beer (especially when there is great, local brewed beer nearly everywhere these days)...but with that being said, I would encourage you to go out of the way to try a beer that so many others clearly enjoy, year after year...

Cheers!

Mike
Mike V. Sardina

mike@societebrewing.com

2014 AHA Governing Committee Candidate

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 07:45:43 pm »

Be sure to remember this guy.  He wears #91.  Brady's gonna need a case of Heady Topper after partying with him.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline oly

• Cellarman
  • beervana
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 11:08:05 pm »
What part of town are you in and where do you have to drive to find it?

If you're close-in, it's on tap pretty often at County Cork, and now and then at Saraveza.
(They're just as likely to be pouring Blind Pig which is also worth it)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 11:32:11 pm »
Seems like it turns up at the Green Dragon several times a year as well. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified