Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pitched a 2nd type of Yeast....  (Read 2233 times)

Offline jhart94949

• 1st Kit
Pitched a 2nd type of Yeast....
« on: September 27, 2013, 06:38:18 pm »
OK, so long story kind of short. I brewed Sunday night. I pitched two bags of 6 month old London Ale Wyeast. After four days (Thursday night) there was no change in gravity, no change in temp and no krausen. So I sprinkled a pack of Windsor on top, WAA-LAA activity ever since. My question is; are my flavors going to be all jacked up due to using two different kinds of yeast...and is it even work washing this yeast and keeping?

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Pitched a 2nd type of Yeast....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 06:43:30 pm »
The short answer... no and no.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 07:22:23 pm »
Agreed, and ironically the original yeast took off because there is no way the Windsor just took off right after pitching it:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 06:25:19 am »
You can harvest the yeast but expect there to be a blend of strains, no telling what you'll get.

For future reference if your yeast is even kinda old you need toile a starter. Yeast is responsible for about 80% of beers flavor. Never skimp on it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 10:10:56 am »
You can harvest the yeast but expect there to be a blend of strains, no telling what you'll get.

For future reference if your yeast is even kinda old you need toile a starter. Yeast is responsible for about 80% of beers flavor. Never skimp on it.

Even if he's using dry yeast?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 10:36:38 am »

Post sounded to me like he pitched two "bags" (smack packs) of 6 month old yeast. Starter not for dry yeast obviously. Or, if you meant harvesting dry yeast: there's no reason whatsoever you can't harvest slurry from dry yeast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 11:46:22 am »

Post sounded to me like he pitched two "bags" (smack packs) of 6 month old yeast. Starter not for dry yeast obviously. Or, if you meant harvesting dry yeast: there's no reason whatsoever you can't harvest slurry from dry yeast.

Now that I'm awake, I can see that you're right (damn, it hurts to say that!   ;) ).  He does say Wyeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 11:50:30 am »
Beer should be fine and you could reuse the yeast but it's unlikely you are going to get the same results in subsequent batches because you would be pitching in different volumes and in a different sequence.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing