Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fla Alcoholic Beverage license  (Read 1967 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Fla Alcoholic Beverage license
« on: September 28, 2013, 06:55:19 am »
My cousin in Tampa is interested in opening a Beer and Win bar. He emailed me and was asking about license options and from the looks of it you guys down there can't sell beer on premiss to be consumed at over 6.243% ABV - http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/abt/documents/LicenseSeriesTypesABT2004_table.pdf

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Is that really the case?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Fla Alcoholic Beverage license
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:41:47 am »
My cousin in Tampa is interested in opening a Beer and Win bar. He emailed me and was asking about license options and from the looks of it you guys down there can't sell beer on premiss to be consumed at over 6.243% ABV - http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/abt/documents/LicenseSeriesTypesABT2004_table.pdf

I do not think we have any laws limiting the alcohol content of beer in Florida.  I have a beer on tap at Cigar City right now listed at 6.8% ABV.  Much stronger ones also available.  The only stupid law we have right now concerns the size of growlers.  We can't fill anything between 32 ounces and a gallon.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline pmhennessey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 07:50:37 am »

I was looking over your link and it looks like the 6.243% of alcohol by volume, or less, license is $56 - $280 and higher alcohol content is $624 - $1820, if I am reading it correctly.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:52:03 am »
I looked at the chart also, and think you want 1COP 563.02.  No restrictions there.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 08:06:10 am »

I do not think we have any laws limiting the alcohol content of beer in Florida.  I have a beer on tap at Cigar City right now listed at 6.8% ABV.  Much stronger ones also available.  The only stupid law we have right now concerns the size of growlers.  We can't fill anything between 32 ounces and a gallon.
I was down there @ Cigar City a couple years ago and had some of their Marshall Zhukov RIS (~12% ish).  Damn was that good.  Really good brewery.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:16:25 am »
Cool. Thanks for doing my homework for me. When I talk to my cousin I'll take all the credit! :P

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 07:50:03 am »
I looked at the chart also, and think you want 1COP 563.02.  No restrictions there.

1COP is for Beer only. Since it's for a beer & wine bar, 2COP would be needed (roughly $100 more per year than 1 COP, actual amount depends on county population).
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL