Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering Freezer  (Read 5445 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Lagering Freezer
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:18:46 pm »
I've decided I need a small chest freezer and controller for a lagering or cold crash chamber. Tired of waiting for that in the kegerator. So I think I'll buy a big one for the house and retire the little one we have to this new job. That way all kegs will be fully carbed and crashed when they get tapped

cornershot

Re: Lagering Freezer
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 05:04:03 am »
So what will that bring your beer fridge/freezer count up to? I think the wife has me cut off at 2.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:28:30 am »
Yeah my next purchase is an upright freezer that will fit the new conical I just received.  I'm running out of garage space!  The good news is that this is the last possible piece of brewing equipment I can envision buying.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 07:09:51 am »
Yeah my next purchase is an upright freezer that will fit the new conical I just received.  I'm running out of garage space!  The good news is that this is the last possible piece of brewing equipment I can envision buying.
Never say never.  :)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:55:10 am »

Haha!  You are right - and why I said 'can envision buying.'  Maybe I'll envision something else later.  Just can't imagine what it will be.  OK, computerized control (Blichmann, Sabco, etc.).
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 09:54:10 am »
So what will that bring your beer fridge/freezer count up to? I think the wife has me cut off at 2.

This would be #3 if I count the kegerator

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:21:24 am »

Haha!  You are right - and why I said 'can envision buying.'  Maybe I'll envision something else later.  Just can't imagine what it will be.  OK, computerized control (Blichmann, Sabco, etc.).

I've got my eyes on that Blichmann Tower of Power.  Luckily, my wife thinks it's really cool, so I just may pull the trigger on it one day. 

As for fridge/freezer count, I'm up to 2 and thought that would be enough, but I'm starting to look for #3.  Kind of like kegs, I though 3 would be enough, now I'm up to 9 and I'm sure that number will continue to grow!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 10:48:01 am »
+1.  My cutoff was 2 as well.  Luckily it's all I need.  Though our refrigerator in the kitchen has alot 'o miles on it, so that could easily turn into a store bought beer storage fridge after we get a new one. Purely out of convenience of course, as we wouldn't have to dispose of the old one. ;)
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 01:13:56 pm »
Are we officially not counting kegerators? If we could get a consensus ruling on this then I only have one and it will be pretty much mandatory to get another one.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 01:29:59 pm »
I counted my kegerator because I can age 3 other cornies aside from what I'm serving.  Aside from that i have a fermentation fridge with a Ranco.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:31:50 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 02:05:13 pm »
You're not helping. ..
My vote is anything with a tap is community property and not brewing equipment

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 02:08:59 pm »
I see where you're going, in which case I need to retire the kitchen fridge (to the garage) soon.   ;)
Jon H.

cornershot

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 02:19:30 pm »
I was thinking refrigeration devices acquired specifically for homebrew. That how my wife looks at it. I'd be hard pressed convincing her the kegerator doesn't count in my fridge allotment or energy usage.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 06:27:36 am »
I am currently at 2 as well (5 cu ft for fermentation and 7.2 cu ft for kegerator).  I was also going to get a larger fermentation chamber and use the small one for lagering, but I need to clean some junk out of the basement before doing that.

Thankfully, I have a storage area under my enclosed deck that I can move kegs to in a month or so that should lager them nicely.  At least it will work for a few months.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 07:03:26 am »
I'm at 3. One for kegerator and cold crashing on the compressor hump, a former kegerator turned fermentation fridge, and a dedicated beer fridge for commercial beer (mini fridge). Unless the DBF doesn't count since it's not used for homebrew, save for yeast in the little bottom drawer. Be cool to have another chest freezer for lagers, but I don't feel a strong need for it right now. Maybe when I get a house with an attached garage or nice big basement.
Jesse