Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Entry Limits for 2014  (Read 21196 times)

Offline rauschuber

• 1st Kit
NHC Entry Limits for 2014
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:34:21 pm »
Anyone heard if the entry limit will remain at 15 for the 2014 NHC? Given how quickly entry registration filled up for 2013, I could see them wanting to lower it even more.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: NHC Entry Limits for 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:17:55 pm »
I can't imagine coming up with 15 comp ready beers. But that's just me.

When are the first round entries accepted usually?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:22:58 am »
I have no inside information on this but I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop to the 5-10 range on limit.  Even with the 15 entry limit, the whole thing filled up in no time.

I am also curious about this since I have a very tight brew schedule for the next 5 months to get beers ready for the first round.  Right now I am at 12 entries I'm planning, but may change that depending on how a couple do in upcoming competitions.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 08:43:25 am »
if we include mead and cider I had at least 40 things to pick from last year.  Getting it down to 8 (as much $ as I was willing to spend) took weeks of intensive taste testing.   ;D 

Even if they don't have the information now, it would be great if the AHA could give us some dates on when certain decisions would be made/information would be released.  limits, costs, first round locations, 2015 NHC site, etc.  Or even just release some results of the various surveys they've taken.

...just my two cents.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:10:05 am »
2015 NHC site, etc

I'm surprised the location hasn't been rumored yet.  I hope Asheville is on the list soon...
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:27:56 am »
2015 NHC site, etc

I'm surprised the location hasn't been rumored yet.  I hope Asheville is on the list soon...
Yeah, pretty quiet, some searching shows that the contract has probably not been signed. If you filed out the question survey, potential cities were on that list.

Pure speculation is back to the West Coast, or the South. Rumors a few years back was that Austin was working on it, but ran into some roadblocks. Would like to go there for personal selfish reasons.

At 4000+ in future years, the conference becomes attractive to big convention hotels and conference centers. The downside is that many places will not have an NHC again, due to the size of the conference.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 10:03:50 am »
I believe in the next couple days, Jake Keeler intends to post reports from the AHA GC subcommittees about what they're working on.  I think the comp subcommittee will outline some of the ideas they're considering.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 10:57:44 am »
One thing I worry about is the entry fee.  I know some want it to be $30 so people limit their entries.  I was fine with the increase last year but much higher and I'll  just not bother sending entries.

I know they were working on NHC last year, but I hope Philly is a 1st round site this year.  Two years ago, they did an excellent job!!
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 11:14:27 am »
Getting it down to 8 (as much $ as I was willing to spend) took weeks of intensive taste testing.   ;D 

IMHO, that's how it should be. You advanced 4 out of 8, right? I entered 4, advanced 2. But I'm also not crazy enough to just enter as many beers as possible to "increase my chances". If you have 15 EXCELLENT beers, then great - enter them. But I cannot tell you how many entrant envelops I stuffed from our regional that had 12-15 entries with not only none advancing, but also some pretty low scores for most of the beers (mid 20s). I can't imagine paying $15 per entry on a beer I didn't think was world class.

Even if the cap was 5-10, I'd still maybe enter 4-5 beers a year.

Okay, soap box rant over.  8) Carry on!  ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline bbkf

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 11:20:39 am »
One thing I worry about is the entry fee.  I know some want it to be $30 so people limit their entries.  I was fine with the increase last year but much higher and I'll  just not bother sending entries.

I know they were working on NHC last year, but I hope Philly is a 1st round site this year.  Two years ago, they did an excellent job!!

In 2009, the fine folks in the Philly region didn't even judge my first round beers.  I was pissed at first but then was given a pass to the second round for their mistake.  I won two medals that year and got to go to beer camp at Sierra Nevada.  This is why I enter a lot of beer to NHC.  That beer camp trip was probably the coolest thing I've ever done in my life.

I entered KC last year and got my scoresheets back in about a week.  I'll likely enter there again if they host a first round site.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 11:29:09 am »
I believe I responded to the survey that I thought a modest decrease in max entries to about 12 was OK.  One of the questions they've asked in the last year was how important Ninkasi is.  I think I responded that it was fairly important right now.  But it is only important when meaningful, and I don't think low limits on entries make Ninkasi very meaningful.  No one wants a 23-way tie.

I guess we'll see how important the rest of the membership thinks Ninkasi is.

Janis acknowledged in the latest Zymurgy that there was now room to grow the Final Round from a judge standpoint, and thus add more First Round regions.  Ignoring for the moment whether she can find more crazy dedicated clubs to organize a region, I think competition growth coupled with no more than a modest decrease in max entries/person would do for at least one year.

cheers--
--Michael

P.S. - thanks for the info Denny.  There's some very passionate people here and we really appreciate any updates.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:34:41 am by udubdawg »

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 12:12:29 pm »
...more crazy dedicated clubs to organize a region...

HEY! Who you callin' crazy?   Oh... wait...  ;)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 02:52:30 pm »

Wow! Would someone actually send in entries if it cost $30 each?  That is steep, but clearly the demand is high and the amount of support the AHA can provide to the judges is limited.  $15 may be a little low, but $30 is really pushing it.  I do think that pricing should be increased to help moderate the demand and allow the AHA to better support the judges that otherwise donate everything to do this 'service' to their fellow homebrewers. 

Another thing that I would like to see are incentives for judges to participate in the first round competitions.  Incentives such as: reserved entries in next year's competition or reservations to this year's convention (you would still have to pay for them) might be more prized by the judges given the difficulty in getting those slots.  These are NO-COST incentives for AHA and they could have an effect on getting more and better qualified judges to the competition sites. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 05:00:13 pm »

Wow! Would someone actually send in entries if it cost $30 each?  That is steep, but clearly the demand is high and the amount of support the AHA can provide to the judges is limited.  $15 may be a little low, but $30 is really pushing it.  I do think that pricing should be increased to help moderate the demand and allow the AHA to better support the judges that otherwise donate everything to do this 'service' to their fellow homebrewers. 

Another thing that I would like to see are incentives for judges to participate in the first round competitions.  Incentives such as: reserved entries in next year's competition or reservations to this year's convention (you would still have to pay for them) might be more prized by the judges given the difficulty in getting those slots.  These are NO-COST incentives for AHA and they could have an effect on getting more and better qualified judges to the competition sites.

I recently found out that this is how the Iron Man competitions are handled. If you volunteer one year you get early registration the next.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 05:10:02 pm »

Wow! Would someone actually send in entries if it cost $30 each?  That is steep, but clearly the demand is high and the amount of support the AHA can provide to the judges is limited. $15 may be a little low, but $30 is really pushing it.   I do think that pricing should be increased to help moderate the demand and allow the AHA to better support the judges that otherwise donate everything to do this 'service' to their fellow homebrewers. 

man I hope not.  It was $12 this year and I think $15 is about as high as I'll go.  $20? - yeah I'm out.  Maybe $20+ makes sense to me if we ever have to go to three rounds.