Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Entry Limits for 2014  (Read 21075 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: NHC Entry Limits for 2014
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 06:18:23 am »
It would be nice to know any entry limits or significant changes a bit earlier for 2014.  I believe we found out on January 24th this year?  I had been preparing for months by that point.  If the entry limit is going to be 3, I can probably stop now.   ;)

I too would find this useful.  I have rearranged a lot of things to schedule brew days to prepare beers for NHC, but if the limit is going to be significantly lower, it would help to know this sooner.

I do not envy the task the AHA and the GC have to tackle regarding the comp.  I'm sure whatever is decided is going to be unpopular with some, and they take the hit for it.
We believe we have some viable modifications to help improve the ever increasing demand for the competition.
Like every box received will be dropped from a 3rd story window onto pavement and only the unbroken bottles will be entered  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 08:15:29 am »
I'm going to enter at least 40 beers to the Canadian entry site...Oh, wait. There isn't one.  Glad I didn't spend the money on an AHA membership this year.

Do I understand correctly that you are taking issue with an organization in this country not having an entry site in other countries?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 08:38:32 am »
I'm going to enter at least 40 beers to the Canadian entry site...Oh, wait. There isn't one.  Glad I didn't spend the money on an AHA membership this year.

Do I understand correctly that you are taking issue with an organization in this country not having an entry site in other countries?

The NHC had a Canadian qualifier up until last year. I am just disappointed that this was abruptly canceled. Particularly after spending a significant amount of time planning and brewing towards it only to find out it had been removed. If the NHC wants to remove it, that's the right of the AHA to do so but I have chosen to remove my support for at least this year.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 09:02:38 am »

The NHC had a Canadian qualifier up until last year. I am just disappointed that this was abruptly canceled. Particularly after spending a significant amount of time planning and brewing towards it only to find out it had been removed. If the NHC wants to remove it, that's the right of the AHA to do so but I have chosen to remove my support for at least this year.

additionally it is the American Homebrewers Association, NOT the United States of America Homebrew Association. Last I checked Canada was still on America. Now granted the National Homebrew Competition but...
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 09:12:11 am »
I will apologize that my initial comment was also somewhat homebrew fuelled.
I don't mean to hijack the thread as I know this is a legitimate question. I still have several concerns related to AHA policy as it pertains to both international and domestic members and I have brought those forward to various board members and am awaiting a response.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 01:48:34 pm »
I'm going to enter one beer this year and would pay $50 if needed. Anyone know approximately when the first round sign ups are?

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 01:59:45 pm »
I'm going to enter one beer this year and would pay $50 if needed. Anyone know approximately when the first round sign ups are?

Most likely in February.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 03:32:06 pm »
Thanks! By the way, if it's $25 I might enter two.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 11:37:25 am »
In all that judging I only had one judge ranked National or higher evaluate my beer. The rest were either Provisional, Recognized, or Certified.  I can enter just about any BJCP and receive the same level of judging.  I entered my beers in the NHC because I thought it would get before the "best" judges out there....ideally at least National level in the 2nd round.
I don't know about regionals, but the BJCP says that 54% of judges in the final round were National or higher. That's pretty impressive. There are only 850 National and higher judges, so about 1 in 8 was at the competition.  That's also enough for 1 or 2 National or higher judges on each flight. Local competitions can't match that.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 02:14:38 pm »
In all that judging I only had one judge ranked National or higher evaluate my beer. The rest were either Provisional, Recognized, or Certified.  I can enter just about any BJCP and receive the same level of judging.  I entered my beers in the NHC because I thought it would get before the "best" judges out there....ideally at least National level in the 2nd round.
I don't know about regionals, but the BJCP says that 54% of judges in the final round were National or higher. That's pretty impressive. There are only 850 National and higher judges, so about 1 in 8 was at the competition.  That's also enough for 1 or 2 National or higher judges on each flight. Local competitions can't match that.

The group I stewarded had at least two I believe.  And most had many years of experience.  It was very cool to say the least.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 02:28:34 pm »

There are actually less than that (as far as active judges go), running an =COUNTIF() function on the National/Master databases on the BJCP website yields 682 National or higher judges (584 National, 98 Master or higher). So it's a bit more impressive that 54% were National or higher, 13% were Master or higher.

That means that 18.4% of National level judges in the country and 26.5% of the Master+ judges were there to help out!  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 01:14:29 pm »
I just saw this on the NHC competition page on the AHA site:

Please check back in January 2014 for information about how to enter the competition.  Registration will be done lottery-style, allowing entrants to register themselves and a specified number of entries (TBD) at their leisure.  After the registration period, entrants will be notified regarding the actual allowed number of entries per entrant (TBD).

I'm sure when they release the details it will be more clear, but the last line has me wondering.  I'm curious if you submit your entries, and they "pull from a hat" which ones can go in.

Either way, there's sure to be some complaining  ;)
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 01:53:26 pm »
I just saw this on the NHC competition page on the AHA site:

Please check back in January 2014 for information about how to enter the competition.  Registration will be done lottery-style, allowing entrants to register themselves and a specified number of entries (TBD) at their leisure.  After the registration period, entrants will be notified regarding the actual allowed number of entries per entrant (TBD).

I'm sure when they release the details it will be more clear, but the last line has me wondering.  I'm curious if you submit your entries, and they "pull from a hat" which ones can go in.

Either way, there's sure to be some complaining  ;)
That is going to be interesting. It looks like you will register online, and then if those are picked in the lottery, and you send to the first round. Right?

With the general dissatisfaction last year, this will be a change that will let everyone have time to register, but many will still get left out. The AHA will get a look at the potential demand for entry slots if there were no limits.

Should be a fun ride.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 02:29:12 pm »
It adds a new level of luck. I was planning on entering a beer this year. I guess if I win the lottery it will be a sign that I should go for it.

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 04:06:29 pm »
I am also planning on bringing one....whichever is my best beer (IMO) avaliable at the time....no, I am not brewing special for it.  That makes it far more interesting.  Ninkaski (or whatever it is) is a bad idea now that this hobby is popular.

Bring your best, expect to win, and if you don't, you get important feedback to try again next year.  Too many entries dilutes the ability of even good judges (of whatever rank) to provide good feedback.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...