Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering Freezer  (Read 5444 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Lagering Freezer
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 07:09:24 am »
Unless the DBF doesn't count since it's not used for homebrew, save for yeast in the little bottom drawer.

If the majority of the space in the freezer of this fridge is dedicated to hops, then I'd say it counts.  Add another one to my list.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 07:41:57 am »
Nah, there's not enough room in the freezer compartment for hops, it's just a little dorm style fridge. The hops are in a basket the main fridge.
Jesse

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 07:50:39 am »
I have:

Sanyo 4912 as a kegerator.
2 full sized fridges for lagering.
1 chest freezer with a Ranco for fermenting.

Those will hold 22 kegs total.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 09:50:17 am »
I just had a duh moment.  If it's going to be for lagering and cold crash, a used fridge will work instead of freezer and controller

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 10:19:37 am »
I just had a duh moment.  If it's going to be for lagering and cold crash, a used fridge will work instead of freezer and controller

sure will, you can also disable the fridge internal sensor and it should go down a bit below freezing.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 10:36:02 am »
Decisions decisions

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 11:46:45 am »
It is hard to get a fridge with a flat bottom all the way to the back.  Sears has one (fridge only, no freezer) for about $600, but for an upright freezer with a flat bottom all the way to the back its only $400.

My brewing $$ is all but dried up since I just bought a conical, but the freezer is my next purchase.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 01:42:28 pm »
Yeah my next purchase is an upright freezer that will fit the new conical I just received.  I'm running out of garage space!  The good news is that this is the last possible piece of brewing equipment I can envision buying.
You're obviously delusional.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 01:45:29 pm »
It is hard to get a fridge with a flat bottom all the way to the back.  Sears has one (fridge only, no freezer) for about $600, but for an upright freezer with a flat bottom all the way to the back its only $400.

My brewing $$ is all but dried up since I just bought a conical, but the freezer is my next purchase.
I just took the veggie compartments out, built a base from 2 X 4's, and put an old fridge shelf on the base to make the whole floor level.  I can now put my wife's champagne bottles on the floor under the base to keep them cold.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 02:47:53 pm »

I just took the veggie compartments out, built a base from 2 X 4's, and put an old fridge shelf on the base to make the whole floor level.  I can now put my wife's champagne bottles on the floor under the base to keep them cold.

that is exactly what I have in my serving fridge. The fermentation fridge is circa 1960's or so so it's flat on the bottom.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 03:14:21 pm »
We have 3 chests; fermenter, crash/carb/lager, and service.  Just last night I suggested we get a fourth, an upright to actually use as a freezer and put like... food in.  Well, and more hops of course.  Luckily, my obsession is shared so the response was, yeah we could make that work.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 04:59:46 pm »
It is hard to get a fridge with a flat bottom all the way to the back.  Sears has one (fridge only, no freezer) for about $600...

This is the fridge I got for conditioning or aging up to 3 kegs, and the top shelves are packed with bottles, glassware goes in the door, and has a Johnson A419 keeping an eye on the temperature.

Also have one kegerator which holds two kegs, one chest freezer for hops and bags of ice (used during the chilling process) and another chest freezer on Johnson A419's (one for cold, one for heat) for fermentation. Luckily my wife likes brewing and we've got plenty of room in the basement. I'd tend to count the kegerator as it doubles as a conditioning fridge when there's no room left in the upright, so I guess that's 4 for me.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06:29 am »
I have 3:

1) 18.2 cf fridge ferment chamber, that also serves to cold crash prior to racking to kegs.

2) 7.2 cf 3-faucet chest freezer kegerator holds four ball locks + 2 more on compressor hump for conditioning/carbonating

3) side by side fridge/freezer, with half of freezer for hops, and fridge can hold two ball locks + 2.5 lb co2 cannister plus bottles.

The side by side plus my food fridge (not previously listed) make ice, which helps having two ice makers for filling coolers, house parties, etc.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:19:15 am by brewsumore »

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:55 am »
Currently at 4:

1) 5.0cf freezer w/Ranco, originally bought for fermenting but now packed to the gills with hops.

2) 7.2cf freezer w/Ranco, now used for fermenting, cold crashing, and pre-carbing kegs.

3) 4.4cf mini-fridge (no freezer), converted to two-cornie kegerator with twin tap tower.

4) 4.7cf mini-fridge w/freezer for bottles, yeast and additional hops in the freezer compartment.

Good thing the bride likes good beer and supports my insanity. Would like to replace #1 & 4 with a standard fridge/freezer to consolidate space in the garage. Let's see what happens for Christmas....
I'm only here for the beer....