Author Topic: Racking  (Read 3085 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: Racking
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
no carboy cap

Of course, you're using buckets aren't you?

Yeah, but I do exactly the same on the rare occasions I use carboys.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 09:15:07 AM »
no carboy cap

Of course, you're using buckets aren't you?

Yeah, but I do exactly the same on the rare occasions I use carboys.

I'm with Denny on this. I had an autosyphon and I could see areas that I could not get really clean. Then it started to craze on me and I just gave it to my kid as a toy. I use a SS racking cane and fill the tubing with sanitizer to start the syphon. I run the sanitizer off into a different container although I suspect that's not really an issue with star san.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline mugwort

• Cellarman
  • Baby T Aleworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »
Well it sounds like people are using a whole range of options and everybody likes what they have.

I have both sizes of auto siphons.  I just pick the size for the job.  1/2" for the throughput.  3/8" for racking off fruit/hops/etc. where you don't want too much vacuuming power.  Extremely easy to use as claimed.  I also find them easy to clean and to visually verify as clean.

Been using them for 3-4 years and they look new.  Just need to switch the tubing out once on a while.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...
Hellhound (stout on pasillas) 9% * Heatstroke Belgian IPA 7.5% * Quado 3 Belgian Dark Strong 10% * Browneyes Belgian Porter (on cacao and coffee nibs) 6.5% * Monkey's Uncle V Witbier 5% * Belgian Blonde with goji berries 7% * Heatstroke IPA 7.5% * Stone Age Belgian Stout 9.5% * Ziggurat Dark Sour 10%

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 10:46:06 AM »
I have a spigot/valve on all my fermenters. I attach a tube and mesh bag and open the valve, done. Got rid of all my carboys, my first or second favorite brewing omission, not bottling being the other. Simple and efficient.

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 11:25:09 AM »
I have a spigot/valve on all my fermenters. I attach a tube and mesh bag and open the valve, done. Got rid of all my carboys, my first or second favorite brewing omission, not bottling being the other. Simple and efficient.

I have never been able to satisfactorily clean all the inside bits of those spigots either. on the rare occasions when I need to bottle a beer from a bucket (usually I prime the keg and just push the primed beer with co2 into bottles) I am always at least tempted to buy a brand new one.

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »

I have never been able to satisfactorily clean all the inside bits of those spigots either. on the rare occasions when I need to bottle a beer from a bucket (usually I prime the keg and just push the primed beer with co2 into bottles) I am always at least tempted to buy a brand new one.

I have 2 spigots for my bottling bucket. After I bottle a batch I rinse the bucket with hot water and drain through the spigot. Then I swap out the spigot & gasket. After that I give the bucket a PBW soak and soak the old spigot inside it. No problems so far, and I bottle all my brews.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 06:38:57 AM »
I could never become adept at filling a tube with water/sanitizer to start the siphon.  It would always take several attempts and I would make a mess.  Maybe I need to watch someone do it on YouTube or something.

I use an autosiphon.  I clean it and my tubing by doing a PBW soak using a wallpaper tray, then a StarSan soak in the wallpaper tray (I know you don't need to soak in StarSan, but it is easy to immerse it in the tray while I do other things.

Offline brewsumore

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »
I also use a 1/2" autosiphon. 

I avoid sucking up yeast by first of all using he anti-sediment tip, but also, I put the racking cane tip just below the surface of the beer or wine to be racked, and keep lowering it to remain in the clearest liquid as it is being transferred.  When I get around 3/4 the way down, I tilt the bucket and support one side with a support I have on hand -- a thick phone book will work.  This allows me to focus on following the liquid down into a corner of the bucket just above the yeast layer, so as to remain yeast free in the receiving bucket.  This works well so long as the receiving vessel will hold all the liquid being racked -- otherwise you get into a juggling act that can get messy if you need to move the outflow tube into a second jug or carboy when meanwhile the racking cane is close to the bottom of the bucket or carboy where the yeast is.  I've had plenty of practice and it becomes pretty routine.

Online Steve in TX

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »
I could never become adept at filling a tube with water/sanitizer to start the siphon.  It would always take several attempts and I would make a mess.  Maybe I need to watch someone do it on YouTube or something.

I use an autosiphon.  I clean it and my tubing by doing a PBW soak using a wallpaper tray, then a StarSan soak in the wallpaper tray (I know you don't need to soak in StarSan, but it is easy to immerse it in the tray while I do other things.

It's not too tough really.

1 - Lower your tubing into a bucket of sanitizer ensuring that it is filling completely
2 - Attach one end to the racking cane and cover the free end with your thumb
3 - Put the racking cane into the fermenter and the tubing into a pot or pint glass
4 - Release your thumb and watch science happen right before your eyes.
5 - If steps 1-4 fail, take a swig of booze and start the siphon with your mouth.  ;)

When I used this method I dump into a pint glass until all sanitizer was free, I then pull an additional 8oz for testing and tasting.

I only used this method when fermenting in buckets.

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »

It's not too tough really.

1 - Lower your tubing into a bucket of sanitizer ensuring that it is filling completely
2 - Attach one end to the racking cane and cover the free end with your thumb
3 - Put the racking cane into the fermenter and the tubing into a pot or pint glass
4 - Release your thumb and watch science happen right before your eyes.
5 - If steps 1-4 fail, take a swig of booze and start the siphon with your mouth.  ;)

When I used this method I dump into a pint glass until all sanitizer was free, I then pull an additional 8oz for testing and tasting.

I only used this method when fermenting in buckets.

this is my method as well. The only difference is I place the racking cane in the fermenter first. Gently placing the tip on the bottom. I also tip the fermenter slightly so that I will get the maximum amount of clear beer out.

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »
I'd imagine that the cane isn't even necessary. Just hose would work. I get bubbles in the line where it goes from cane to hose. Next time I'm going to just use the hose.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:01:56 PM by klickitat jim »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
I'd imagine that the cane is even necessary. Just hose would work. I get bubbles in the line where it goes from cane to hose. Next time I'm going to just use the hose.

I find it's much easier to use a cane.  If you get bubbles at the hose/cane junction, just pinch the hose just below where it connects to the cane.  Bubbles gone!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline klickitat jim

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »
I'll try that thanks. 

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 01:34:52 PM »
I'd imagine that the cane is even necessary. Just hose would work. I get bubbles in the line where it goes from cane to hose. Next time I'm going to just use the hose.

I find it's much easier to use a cane.  If you get bubbles at the hose/cane junction, just pinch the hose just below where it connects to the cane.  Bubbles gone!

You can also just flick it hard a few times where the bubbles are as the siphon is flowing. The bubbles will come loose and flow out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online Steve in TX

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
I do the same as Denny but I also I use a worm clamp to attach the hose to the cane. I tighten it down after I squeeze out the bubbles. It may be the tubing I am using, but bubbles were reforming