Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: HLT or Mash Tun  (Read 5341 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Re: HLT or Mash Tun
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 10:40:46 am »
So if I went for a rectangular cooler for my MLT what size is recommended. Don't know how often I would be doing high gravity beers, but I definitely know that I will vary quite a bit in the size batches I will be doing. Five to ten gallon batches that is.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 11:08:02 am »
So if I went for a rectangular cooler for my MLT what size is recommended. Don't know how often I would be doing high gravity beers, but I definitely know that I will vary quite a bit in the size batches I will be doing. Five to ten gallon batches that is.

I have a 72 qt coleman extreme. I have made 11 gallon batches of 'normal' gravity (around 1.050-1.060) with it and was able to do mostly no sparge (I had to run off a small part of the first runnings before I had room or the last gallon or so of sparge water) I can do a 1.100+ beast at a 5 gallon batch but it's pretty full (partigyle so no sparge again)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 11:28:18 am »

I have a 72 qt coleman extreme. I have made 11 gallon batches of 'normal' gravity (around 1.050-1.060) with it and was able to do mostly no sparge (I had to run off a small part of the first runnings before I had room or the last gallon or so of sparge water) I can do a 1.100+ beast at a 5 gallon batch but it's pretty full (partigyle so no sparge again)

I have 48, 70, and 152 qt. mash tuns.  If I was going to only have one, it would be the 70.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 11:36:42 am »
Hey thanks guys for all the good info. Think I am gonna go with the Coleman Xtreeme 70 qt. looking forward to getting back from Afghanistan for the big brew day! Have a bunch of cool stuff to set it all up and running. Can't wait to try out the Blichmann burner I got. When I used my stove before I left it took forever to brew

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 11:45:42 am »
FWIW, I had a round HD Rubbermaid cooler deform a bit when using it as an HLT with a heat stick; it's still functional, but it has a bulge on the inside wall now, so I stopped using it for that purpose anymore.  Even 5 gallon buckets seem to hold up better for HLT's using heatsticks.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 11:57:28 am »
I use 2 of the Coleman 70 QT extreme coolers, one for my HLT and one for my mash tun.  I have them on a sturdy shelf on the back wall of my garage, HLT over the mash tun.  I use a pump to pump the mash water into the mash tun and the sparge water into the HLT.  I have a ball valve on the HLT to drain the sparge water into the mash tun.  This works really well for me.  The pump saved me from having to buy another burner and an expensive stainless steel HLT.  And it multi-tasks:  The pump is handy for batch sparging and for chilling as well.  The over/under configuration on the wall (shelving is heavy duty and mounted into studs) makes for a very small footprint, too.