Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Poor WLP002 attenuation: raise temp to fix?  (Read 9279 times)

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
Poor WLP002 attenuation: raise temp to fix?
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:44:19 am »
2.5 weeks ago I brewed what was supposed to be a 1.100 OG ale (June Zymurgy Lagunitas Brown Shugga' clone).  My 60 minute mash was 2o under, @ 153o instead of 155o.  I used a stir plate and pitched a 1800mL starter, per Mr. Malty, at 59o, and have slowly been warming it up since then.  It's currently up to 66. 

My issue is I've been stuck at 1.040 for about 5 days now.  I added some yeast nutrient and roused the cake twice.  I'm probably answering my own question, but could being 2o under lead to such a difference in readily available sugars that my FG could end up being so high?  Should I raise the temp to the low 70's?

Offline dvirgen1

• 1st Kit
Re: Poor WLP002 attenuation: raise temp to fix?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 12:02:44 pm »
Your yeast was in the low 60's for 2.5 weeks? raising it to about 68 degrees would allow the yeast to be more active, therefore, lowering your attenuation. But it has been a while since you pitched. If that were my situation I would pitch a new starter. A fewer amount of yeast cells though

Offline dvirgen1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:04:08 pm »
a cheap good fix would be adding a pack of safale 05 at a higher temp, not too high

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:05:02 pm »
Not sure where that guy is supposed to end up, but you may have a combination of issues here - big beer overstressed yeast; less fermentable wort than expected; dormant/shocked yeast.  But the starter should have been pretty close to what is needed at 1800ml, the mash temp is not out of line at that temperature and I can't imagine the yeast was shocked at 59F.  Is there a possibility that the temperatures are inaccurate?  I would raise it up at this point and see what happens.  Then perhaps try a hardy yeast strain addition to see if it can metabolize it further.

good luck and post what you do and what happens - I am curious to know.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:22:52 pm »
Adding some safale 05 was on the top of my list of fixes.  I should have prefaced that my fermentation chamber is a big square igloo cooler filled with ice packs and water, so while the water temp outside the carboy started at 59, the internal temp was probably closer to 65 once fermentation started.  I even mixed the grains for 10 minutes because the grain bill was so large (22.5 lbs).  I'll pitch some more yeast and will let you know what happens. 

This is also the third time this has happened to me in the past year or so, esp for my bigger brews, so perhaps my thermometer is el cheapo and it's time to get a new one.

As always, thanks for the tips.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:24:18 pm »
Two degrees low will not result in a higher FG in my experience.

You have a yeast issue. Warm it up 68F, send in fresh yeast to help finish up.

Greg Doss found the most fermentable wort was mashed at 153F, his talk in Seattle 2012.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:18:02 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 12:24:42 pm »
Big beers take time and patience.  I would raise the temp and rouse the yeast and see what that does.

Pitching more yeast could help but it does not have a huge impact IME.

I don't think mashing at 153 is your issue unless your thermometer is way off since the lower temp should give you a more fermentable wort.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 12:39:33 pm »
My experience with 1968/WLP002 is that you need to oxygenate well and pitch about 2X what the calculators say in order to get it to finish before it drops.  3 days at 62 then up to 68-70 to finish.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 12:53:59 pm »

I don't think mashing at 153 is your issue unless your thermometer is way off since the lower temp should give you a more fermentable wort.
+1. 
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:31:52 pm »
What you guys are all missing is that WLP002 is a very quick flocculating yeast. You may only need to rouse the yeast on the bottom to get it started again. The Burton Union system was designed to keep this strain in suspension - it loves to clump together and drop out.  Try rousing, if that doesn't work a fresh slurry should work.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 02:34:13 pm »
The OP says he roused it twice...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 03:02:53 pm »

rousing wlp002 can be a big pain in the butt. Major, having a conical can probably do it with co2 injected through the bottom valve which might actually work. In my experience short of adding fresh wort you can't really get this yeast to un-floc by any reasonable means at home. I vote for trying to add a big bump of fresh yeast.

To the OP, if you want to know how much potential for attenuation you have left, take a sample (8-10 floz) and add a whole tube of WLP002 and treat it like a starter. Shake it to aerate. keep it really warm, do everything you can to make the yeast happy instead of trying to make good beer. give it a few days and take a reading on that. That should be pretty close to your true floor on this beer. Then you will at least know for sure that you can get it to go lower or not.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 03:07:37 pm »

My experience with 1968/WLP002 is that you need to oxygenate well and pitch about 2X what the calculators say in order to get it to finish before it drops.  3 days at 62 then up to 68-70 to finish.

+1 but if you get it right it is so rewarding

To the op, you say you've run into this problem multiple times over the last year with big beers. Have they all been with 002/1968? Have you tried ramping at all?
Take it easy...

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:33 pm »

That's what she said
Take it easy...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 03:31:17 pm »

That's what she said

In that case, I doubt that warming it will do any good.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell