Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Avocado Beer  (Read 8046 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Avocado Beer
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 02:42:39 pm »
learn something new everyday.

I was kinda prepared because my wife is a big believer in this and for years I've been telling her I don't see it working!  So I was aware of these resources already.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »
"Damn it Jim, it's avocados not rocket science!"

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 11:18:27 pm »
As someone once said on this forum, only in reference to northern grown zucchini, "You have to lock your car, or someone will put avocados in there."

These are just the recognized varieties.  Wild avocado trees often spring from random cross-breeding.  Seeds do not reproduce true to the fruit they come from,  and some of those wild cross-breeds are incredibly delicious!

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 09:24:03 am »
Two months back, Angel City here in LA (the Alan Newman/Jim Koch seed project that they bought from the founder) did an Avocado beer for an Avocado fest. Same sort of idea as the guacamole saison only he went and added both avocado flesh and garlic (I will let no sulfur bearing components near my brew!)

He mashed the avos and added some in the whirlpool.

http://laist.com/2013/08/20/angel_city_avocado_beer.php

I love avocados, but yeah.. I'll stick with the Saison Guacamole approach.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Jarhno

• Cellarman
  • You can call me John. (Portland, OR.)
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 10:57:22 am »
Two months back, Angel City here in LA (the Alan Newman/Jim Koch seed project that they bought from the founder) did an Avocado beer for an Avocado fest. Same sort of idea as the guacamole saison only he went and added both avocado flesh and garlic (I will let no sulfur bearing components near my brew!)

He mashed the avos and added some in the whirlpool.

http://laist.com/2013/08/20/angel_city_avocado_beer.php

I love avocados, but yeah.. I'll stick with the Saison Guacamole approach.

Interesting! Thanks for the link!

Yeah I was imagining a very light beer like a pilsner that had hints of that avocado sweetness, almost a savory kind of sweetness. Depending how pungent or potent the flavor is I will consider adding some sort of fruit (in very, very light amounts) to a successive brew to maintain a delicate and light approach but to add some complexity.

Thanks for all the information, everyone!
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  - Frank Zappa

Offline gandelf

• Assistant Brewer
  • Mill Creek Brewery, Temptation Rd
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 05:04:12 am »
First, you need to define for yourself what you hope to get from the avocado.  How will it contribute to the beer?  Imagine what you want the finished beer to taste like...and why!

AND sometimes it's just wrong. Because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Religion; A contrived security blanked for a species that is currently in its adolescent phase of its evolutionary journey.

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 07:54:12 am »
My experience w/avocados is that they quickly turn black.  Maybe in secondary where the oxygen has been scavenged, but I think your color will be affected.

You can also prevent avocado's from turning black with heat. If you heat avocados to a sufficient temperature, you will denature the enzymes that cause decoloration. I made a soup and added the avocado for just the last 5 - 10 minutes of cooking and they were still a bright yellow-green up until the point I ate all the leftovers (~10 days). I'm not sure what temperature the flesh has to reach, but with heat it's possible to make permanently green guacamole.