Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: LME Kit --- Help Needed  (Read 1477 times)

Offline mcallijb

• 1st Kit
LME Kit --- Help Needed
« on: October 02, 2013, 04:27:34 am »
So my friend brought me a "Bock" canned LME kit from New Zealand that contains 2 things: a packet of yeast and a 4 lb can of hopped liquid malt.  It was a gift so I want to make sure I use it and the beer tastes good.  The recipe makes 23 liters (6.08 gallons) and calls for an additional 1 kg of "liquid brewing sugar or sugar."  I'd like to make it a 5 gallon recipe so it will fit in my fermenters.  I've got extra IPA ingredients - LME, DME, hops, & grains.  I was thinking about just doing a regular IPA extract brew - steep some grains, add canned malt & about 1 lb more of LME, maybe throw in a few extra hops (or dry hop later).  Call it a "Bock IPA"?  Any suggestions?  Anyone ever used one of these canned kits before??

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: LME Kit --- Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:29:56 am »
you could just add the canned stuff to 2 gallons of water, add the sugar, boil 15 minutes. chill, top of and add fresh yeast. it'll be more of a dopplebock at 5 gallons but it'll be okay. If you use US-05 and ferment really cool (around 58f tops) it'll even be pretty clean like a lager.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mcallijb

• 1st Kit
Re: LME Kit --- Help Needed
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:44:06 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I ended up steeping some grains from a Stout kit, adding some Golden Light DME to the Bock LME, and "dry hopping" with some local roasted coffee beans.  Turned out to be an excellent coffee stout - well better than anything we get out here on a tiny island in the pacific.  I don't think you could buy ANY stout anywhere out here even if you wanted to...