Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Mill Recommendation  (Read 5784 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Grain Mill Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 09:01:34 am »
    If memory serves, JSP is no longer in business, but my memory is highly questionable.
   As a lifelong tool user and junkie I've learned the hard and expensive way time and again not to buy any tool until I can afford to buy high quality - and that doesn't always mean all the bells and whistles.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 07:07:09 pm »
I had a JSP mill for about 20 years and loved it.  I bought it from a Homebrew Shop that went out of business so it was maybe 25 years old.  The rollers were getting a bit worn after all that time so I replaced it with a three roller Crankandstein about a month ago.  The mill is a bit more expensive but works well and my mash and brew house efficiencies have gone up.

Goose, sounds like that Crankandstein is working for you.  Question.   Could it be run off a drill, or is a stand and motor a necessity?   I don't want to build a big piece of kit, I like being able to put my JSP away on the shelf and take it out as needed.  Limited space.  But I also don't want to burn out my drill.  Or break my wrist for that matter.   Need to start considering options,  as old JSP is wearing fast. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 07:48:57 am »
I had a JSP mill for about 20 years and loved it.  I bought it from a Homebrew Shop that went out of business so it was maybe 25 years old.  The rollers were getting a bit worn after all that time so I replaced it with a three roller Crankandstein about a month ago.  The mill is a bit more expensive but works well and my mash and brew house efficiencies have gone up.

Goose, sounds like that Crankandstein is working for you.  Question.   Could it be run off a drill, or is a stand and motor a necessity?   I don't want to build a big piece of kit, I like being able to put my JSP away on the shelf and take it out as needed.  Limited space.  But I also don't want to burn out my drill.  Or break my wrist for that matter.   Need to start considering options,  as old JSP is wearing fast.

Rob, the Crankenstein is available with a wooden base plate that will sit on a bucket kind of like the JSP mills were.  You can turn it with a drill like the JSP.  It turns pretty easily (only one roller is positively driven the others run on friction from the grain) and you won't end up with any broken bones.  I bought the accessory hopper with mine and it holds about 9 lbs of grain.  I can crush 21 lbs of grain in less than 5 minutes.

The only thing I had to do is enclose the sides of the mill as they were open when it arrived.  I went to Lowes and bought some sheet aluminum, cut it to size and taped it to the sides of the mill with small pieces aluminum tape.  That way I can keep the dust down in the brewery.  I would attach a picture but can't figure out how to do it on this forum.  I will e-mail you one.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 08:10:35 am »
Thanks, Goose!  This might be top of the list right now.  But I sure hope the old JSP holds on a little longer.  I've really been abusing it lately with some pretty steely malt (Chevallier.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.