Author Topic: Grain Mill Recommendation  (Read 1158 times)

Offline dglucasii

• Cellarman
  • I'd rather be brewing
    • View Profile
Grain Mill Recommendation
« on: October 02, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »
Looking for a grain mill on a tight budget.  I've been getting by with taking my bulk grains to a friend for grinding for about a year and I need a little freedom, but I don't want to pay $130 for one off a Home brew supply website...any ideas?  DIY?

Offline dmtaylor

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Grain Mill Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
There's always Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa/Solstice/winter holidays!  That's how I got mine.  I was too cheap to buy one but Santa was nice to me that year.

There's also such a thing as the blender method that you might want to try out.  Takes forever and a day to grind all the grains, but it does work.  I did it for several years before Santa came through for me.  See here:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67843&hilit=+blender
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:18:27 AM »
Google 'Corona Grain Mill Homebrew' and you'll find a mill that will get you going for much less than a standard two roller mill. It will take a little tweaking and adapting, but great if you like DIY.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »
Are you All-grain or Extract brewing?  If extract a corona mill will work for cheap money.  If you are allgrain brewing and intend to try a corona mill expect to need rotator cuff surgery in short order.  When dealing with the amount of grains needed and in a specific condition(aka husk intact) then spend the money and get a proper mill.  A barley crusher will cost you about 125, a Monster mill slightly more.  I have seen it argued that a Mill is the most important piece of equipment for brewing.

Just my 2 cents.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 08:28:59 PM »
Im doing 1BBL all grain and im using a Cereal Killer, works superbly and I hit 82% on the last batch.
In dog beers I've had 1

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »
Did you buy the bulk grain from a LHBS?  I have and they will grind it for me.  While I grind most times at home, it is a nice option to have available.....
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 04:13:07 AM »
Im doing 1BBL all grain and im using a Cereal Killer, works superbly and I hit 82% on the last batch.
I had never heard of the Cereal Killer Mill.  First link I found on Google has it for $99.  Not bad.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline wingnut

• Assistant Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 04:52:25 AM »
Ive used a Corona mill for years to do all grain... and yes, cranking it is a pain.  One or two pounds is no big deal... 10 to 15 pounds...that is a pain.   I replaced the crank handle on it years ago with a shaft to connect a drill to speed things up, and it has made the mill tolerable for all grain.  Without the leverage of the crank handle, the drill has to deal with a bit of torque though, so I either use my plug in drill, or have two batteries ready for my cordless.  (usually take about 10 minutes for 12 pounds and drains a full battery charge due to the torque loads)

The biggest issue I have with the Corona is the small hopper size.  It only holds a pound or two.  (I had modified the hopper at one point to hold 5# of grain, but the mill performance began to have issues.)

I know I am asking Santa for a roller mill for Christmas to replace the Corona, and the biggest things I am looking for is:
1.) 5lb or even better a 10 lb hopper
2.) It can be fitted to a piece of plywood to sit on top of my mash tun so I can grind right into it. (Covering the whole opening would be nice to keep the dust down)
3.) Roller Adjustment (I adjust my mill often when going back and forth from Barley to Wheat)

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 07:29:45 AM »
I have a corona mill that I hand crank. I do a lot of small batches so it's not that big of a deal but if I went back to brewing larger batches I'd modify it to work off a drill.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline realbeerguy

• Assistant Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »
I've had a Schmidling mill for over 15 yrs.  amoritize the cost over that time, add in the savings in buying bulk grain, and hitting 80-85% efficency, I'm at a cost of less than $10.00 /year and dropping.

Buy once, cry once.  Don't cheap out
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »
I've had a Schmidling mill for over 15 yrs.  amoritize the cost over that time, add in the savings in buying bulk grain, and hitting 80-85% efficency, I'm at a cost of less than $10.00 /year and dropping.

Agreed.  I love my JSP MaltMill.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 09:04:56 AM »

Agreed.  I love my JSP MaltMill.

+1

I got my Barely Crusher years ago and have never looked back.  Everyone I know who had a corona mill bought a roller mill when they had the chance.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »
Another thumbs up for the JSP Maltmill!
Ron Price