Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
What is this?
« on: October 03, 2013, 09:29:24 am »
I noticed this brown haze when I was cleaning up from my last brew.  Do you think I just need to scrub harder or with more aggressive cleaners or is this a case of needing to passivate?  My brewpots are legit keggles ( I don't want to start that conversation).

Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:50:25 am »
I can't see it in the pic but what you describe sounds like beer stone. I find it comes off okay if you scrub with hot PBW solution soon after brew day. I believe there are acid cleansers specifically designed for the removal of beer stone.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:09:33 am »
I do nothing until it gets a lot worse than that, then I scrub with BKF.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 10:20:56 am »
Yeah can't see anything. But that brown "layer" comes off very easy with some bar keepers friend. Beerstone is white and forms in kegs, aging and serving tanks tanks. It is scaly and very difficult to remove with bar keepers friend and seemingly impossible to remove with just elbow grease. The brown stains will come off with elbow grease. The brown stuff is often referred to as beer stone but I don't believe this is accurate. Maybe someone can tell us ?????

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:31:37 am »
Beerstone is mostly calcium oxylate, which is hard like a stone. Therefore it is most easily removed by dissolving, instead of mechanically removing by hand. It is deposited onto the kettle surface during the boil and continues to be deposited through time, temperature and level of calcium available in the wort.
Ron Price

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 10:47:00 am »
Beerstone is mostly calcium oxylate, which is hard like a stone. Therefore it is most easily removed by dissolving, instead of mechanically removing by hand. It is deposited onto the kettle surface during the boil and continues to be deposited through time, temperature and level of calcium available in the wort.

The brown stuff that forms in kettles is nothing like you describe for beerstone.  It is not hard like a stone and it is not difficult to remove by hand. The white stone like subatance that forms in fermentors and kegs, is exactly like you describe except it is formed on the cold side. Or are you saying it manifests itself in two different forms based on hot-side vs cold-side?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:47:25 am »
It is hard to see in this picture.  It appears as a brown haze. 

I did clean with Bar Keepers friend and scrubbed it very well with a green scrub pad.  I mention green because in the literature that came with my new conical from Stout Tanks, it says not to use a 3M green scrubby but Blue 3M scrubbies are OK. 

Acknowledgement: clearly I get too OCD at times...
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:07:18 am »
I call it "wort film", because that is what it is like. I had beerstone and had a hard time diagnosing it because there is a lot of differing notions out there. I finally found one that described my problem exactly and was then able to get rid of it. Beerstone sucks, wort film is a non issue and easily cleaned. Like Denny , I wait a clean my kettles every six months or so.  I have used green scrubbies on all my stainless steel.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 12:15:25 pm »
Does beer stone in kegs cause off flavors? Assuming so, right?
Jesse

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 12:20:25 pm »
Does beer stone in kegs cause off flavors? Assuming so, right?

Beerstone gives beer spoilers a safe place to hang out away from surface sanitizers.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:28 pm »
I can't see much in the picture, but I could see Five Star Acid #5 being a good product to use for what you describe.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline forsome

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 09:34:42 pm »
The picture isn't clear.According to your description,it maybe beer stone.