Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So you want to be a brewer  (Read 38985 times)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: So you want to be a brewer
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2013, 07:23:01 am »
Hey Leos,

Actually, the TTB passed a temporary rule at the end of 2012 (which is still in effect), that reduces the bond amount for small brewers to $1,000 so long as the small brewer pays less than $50k in excise taxes in a given year.  Because the federal excise tax rate is $7 on the first 60k barrels, that $50k in taxes is equal to producing approximately 7,142 barrels per year.  We are estimating that we will produce fewer than 7,142 barrels per year for the first several years, so our initial bond rate should be $1,000.
See I should have you on retainer for any advice.
Thank you for the info.
I was starting to worry that I will have to Increase the bond to $2000.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2013, 07:46:30 am »
Hey Leos,

Actually, the TTB passed a temporary rule at the end of 2012 (which is still in effect), that reduces the bond amount for small brewers to $1,000 so long as the small brewer pays less than $50k in excise taxes in a given year.  Because the federal excise tax rate is $7 on the first 60k barrels, that $50k in taxes is equal to producing approximately 7,142 barrels per year.  We are estimating that we will produce fewer than 7,142 barrels per year for the first several years, so our initial bond rate should be $1,000.
Thank you for the info.

;D  No problem!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2013, 07:55:28 am »
Hey Leos,

Thank you for the info.

;D  No problem!

This was a temporary rule? I thought is was that way always. Never the less I appreciated the rule.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2013, 10:25:27 am »
Hey Leos,

Thank you for the info.

+1

I wasn't aware of this rule either. :)
Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2013, 10:33:34 am »
Hey Leos,

Thank you for the info.

;D  No problem!

This was a temporary rule? I thought is was that way always. Never the less I appreciated the rule.

Yep.  It's a temporary rule that is in effect for a period of three years.  Hopefully, they'll make it permanent after the three-year period lapses.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-12-07/pdf/2012-29488.pdf
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial