Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hawaii - one shot only trip  (Read 2694 times)

Offline dboyanowski

• 1st Kit
Hawaii - one shot only trip
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:34:29 pm »
I'll be headed to the island of Oahu in early April staying on Waikiki Beach. While I'll be there for a week I doubt SHMBO will sanction more than one or two side excursions for the purpose of testing the local flavors. That being said, if any of you have been there and can recommend their HAVE TO VISIT favorite sites it would be appreciated. I've checked out the AHA list, but personal experience has always been the recommendations of experts trump web advertising. Thanks for any assistance.

David Boyanowski

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
Re: Hawaii - one shot only trip
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 09:57:57 pm »
The last time that I visited Oahu, I drank beer from Kona Brewing Company.  I tried the Longboard Lager, Big Wave Golden Ale, Firerock Pale Ale, Lavaman Red, and one of the porters, but I can't remember which one.  All of the beers were very good, but I remember the Lavaman Red being my favorite.

I mostly drank bottles, but my wife and I did visit the brewpub at the Koko Marina in Honolulu as well.

Hope that helps,
J
Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest

Offline lucybear999

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:27:42 am »
You are in luck...If you have to 'balance' your time, there is a Yard House on Lewers street in the heart of waikiki. It's a national chain, so you'll find all of the usual suspects, but here, you can sample many of the beers from the islands. Kona, Maui Brewing, Mehana, etc. Just find the Embassy Suites, and you are there...

...and its just a couple of blocks from the beach!
Longer Strides and Better Beer

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:54:37 pm »
The best place on Oahu to try Kona Brewing Co. beers would be their Koko Marina pub however it's a haul from Waikiki.

You could also check out Sam Choy's Big Aloha Brewery on Nimitz Hwy.

Of the two I'd go with Kona Brewing.  You can find their beers at many places but I'd stick to draft product.

Offline dboyanowski

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 06:47:53 am »
Thanks folks, really appreciate the insights!

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:24:14 pm »
I also recommend the Yard House on Lewers, and the Kona Brew Pub (I wouldn't say its a haul, but it is east of Wakiki).  Both have excellent food, and great beer.  Kona has a porter made with Kona coffee which is excellent, as is Maui's Brewing's IPA (both on tap at Yard House).  You'll also see Kona's Firerock Pale and Big Wave Golden just about everywhere, and they're good too.  Dont forget to have a Mai Tai or two also though, this is Hawaii after all...