Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Strongbow clone?  (Read 7701 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Strongbow clone?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 01:42:09 pm »
Once upon a time a friend shared something he called Apple Pie. Tasted like, apple pie. But kicked like a mule. I never got the recipe but I think it had everclear in it.

I've had that made with shine before.  Quite tasty!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 08:20:43 am »
Mtnrockhopper - are you doing a massive cider batch again this year?  What did you do last time, something like 45 gals?
I ask because I am going to do one big cider batch this year instead of multiple smaller ones and I'm curious how much yeast you used etc.  My plan is a 30 gal batch using WLP cider yeast (I ordered it but I forget the # now).  I may try a split with another yeast, not sure.
It was 60 gallons 2 years ago. Last year we made a couple smaller batches. Not sure if we're doing a huge batch again. I have to wait until December for it to be cold enough in my garage. We did make 10 gallons of asian pear cider, unfortunately it got an infection and has a bit of acetic acid.

I use dry yeast at 1 gram per gallon rehydrated (or a 5g packet per 5 gallons).
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 09:24:24 am »
My wife really enjoys Strongbow cider, as it seems to have the right combination of tart, sweet, and apple flavor.  I have tried numerous times to come up with a cider that she will enjoy, but have fallen short each time.  Typically I have used juice and champagne yeast, but have tried various wine yeasts as well.  Each time it gets way too dry, and retains a little "yeasty" character.  Any suggestions of yeast choice or ways to keep it from getting too dry?  My goal is to not have to add apple juice at bottling time.  Thanks

Ferment and then put cider in fridge.  The cider will likely to continue to ferment slowly but it works for making a gallon of beer.  You may need to aerate the cider during fermentation to get rid of the hydrogen sulfide.