Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: black ipa and bruns water spreadsheet  (Read 3803 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
black ipa and bruns water spreadsheet
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:51:03 am »
Hi! i want to do a wookey jack clone from firestone walker, i have build all my recipe but dont know how to approach this on the bruns water spreadsheet. Can i use the pale ale profile to enhance the hops? o do i need to use the black hoppy profile?

I have tasted that beer and for me it is very balanced, but i dont know if the black balanced profile could fit with this beer...what do you think? what profile would you use?

thanks!

Offline guitalele81

• 1st Kit
Re: black ipa and bruns water spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:03:51 am »
I just brewed an American Black Ale that is very similar to Wookey Jack, but without the rye. After a bunch of research, and a post on this forum (https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=17054.0) I ended up using 1.25 tsp gypsum and 1 tsp CaCl in 5 gallons of distilled water (mash and sparge combined). The idea was to keep the mash pH balanced for a dark beer but lean a little towards accentuating the hops with a tad more gypsum. The beer is still in the fermentor, but I'm thinking that's the way to go!

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 10:52:13 am »
My opinion and take it for what it's worth as I have never tasted that beer. I would start with the Pale Ale profile and get your "flavor" profile where you want it, then see what this will do to your pH. If you need to lighten up on your additions you can always add some to the boil if needed. My thoughts are a Black IPA is still an IPA so you need to get the flavor correct to that.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:21:49 am »
I'd say it depends on your recipe.

Isn't there a bitter or hoppy black profile? I would use that profile if you are using roasted barley, black malt, or chocolate malt because those grains will lower ph. If you are using something more gentle like unhusked carafa or midnight wheat I'd probably use a pale ale-appropriate profile since the dark grains aren't lowering the ph in a noticeable manner.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 08:45:10 am »
This is my malt bill:

13.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.1 %
1.66 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 9.9 %
0.50 lb Cara-Rye (70.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 lb Carafa III dehusked(525.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %

So...do you consider a pale ale profile (sufates = 300 ppm) since there arent any harsh or roast flavors?

thanks!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 09:17:38 am »
You can mash the base grains with the pale hoppy profile. Cold steep the cara and roasted grains and add when vorlaufing.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:56:10 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 09:31:03 am »
You can mash the base grains with the pale hoppy profile. Cold steep the cara and roasted grisons and add when vorlaufing.

This is what I'd do, then add some Gypsum to the kettle for flavor.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 09:54:42 am »
You can mash the base grains with the pale hoppy profile. Cold steep the cara and roasted grisons and add when vorlaufing.

This is what I'd do, then add some Gypsum to the kettle for flavor.

This reinforces my observation that the only "Black IPA" I've ever really liked was a regular IPA with Sinamar added.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell