Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cardamom  (Read 2142 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Cardamom
« on: March 20, 2010, 03:48:58 am »
First of all, I love this spice in food. My favorite dessert is Indian rice pudding. I love it equally in sweet and savory dishes, and the aroma is probably my all-time favorite food scent. I have used cardamom sparingly in the past, where is only was a smallish supporting actor - never more than 5 pods in a 5 gal batch. This time I'm giving Cardamom more of a strong supporting role - the Han Solo of the spring's first witbier, if you will. I'm trying a third of an ounce of cardamom pods (coursely ground with 3/4 oz of coriander in a coffee grinder). These spices, along with fresh bitter orange peel and fresh sweet orange peel, will go in at 5 min. I know this is an aggressive amount of cardamom, but I want it to stand out this time, because of how much I love the spice. Has anyone overdone it with this spice? Is there any reason why what I am preparing to do is crazy?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Cardamom
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:41:40 am »
There was a cardomom discussion in this very forum a little ways back.  Check it out...

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1196.0
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Cardamom
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 12:26:59 pm »
I will read the link above.

First thought was that's a lot of cardamom! In yogurt I find it incomparable. Just love it. With honey too...

At five minutes. Hmmmm....

Seems like a lot but maybe you're right. Halve it? ???
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis