Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hopping Advice  (Read 5479 times)

Offline twharvey

• 1st Kit
Dry Hopping Advice
« on: October 08, 2013, 06:50:58 pm »
I have a Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale fermenting along that I hopped with Galena and Willamette hops. I have 2 oz of Fuggles pellets that I want to use up and was thinking of dry hopping my batch with them.  Will there be any flavor clash with that combo of hops? 

Thanks,

Terry

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Dry Hopping Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 08:27:54 pm »
I pretty much use Willamette and Fuggles interchangeably. Willamette has a touch of citrus to it, but is otherwise real close to Fuggles. I think it would be a nice choice for a Black IPA.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:49:42 pm »
I love Willamette. The citrus note is lemony to me rather than the typical grapefruit of others. Works great in a lot of styles. Especially blonde

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 09:39:50 am »
I love Willamette. The citrus note is lemony to me rather than the typical grapefruit of others. Works great in a lot of styles. Especially blonde

Wow!  All I get from Willamette/Fuggles is wood and dirt.  Perceptions are interesting, huh?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:32:44 am »
I had an all-Fuggles IPA the other day and thought of you Denny.  It was certainly earthy but not at all bad.  Didn't get a lot of citrus either.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:05:10 am »
I had an all-Fuggles IPA the other day and thought of you Denny.  It was certainly earthy but not at all bad.  Didn't get a lot of citrus either.

I use a whole lot of Fuggles and "earthy" is exactly how I would describe it.  "Dirt" sounds so negative.

Willamette is a pretty good substitute, so there shouldn't be any clash.  Never used Galena that I know of so I can't comment there.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:59:53 am »

Wow!  All I get from Willamette/Fuggles is wood and dirt.  Perceptions are interesting, huh?
I stopped using Willamette because of the metallic taste I got (and judges in competitions got).  I doubt this would be an issue with dry hops though.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 12:26:34 pm »

I use a whole lot of Fuggles and "earthy" is exactly how I would describe it.  "Dirt" sounds so negative.

Willamette is a pretty good substitute, so there shouldn't be any clash.  Never used Galena that I know of so I can't comment there.

I recently brewed a "legacy" batch of my Noti Brown Ale recipe.  It uses a lot of Willamettes and over the years I'd switched them out for other hops.  It was the first recipe I ever won with, so I thought I'd revisit it in the original form.  I could immedialtely taste the earthy, dirt, whatever you want to call it.  I gave some to 2 friends, both BJCP, and that was the first thing they commented on.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 12:30:27 pm »
I only use them dry and in brews under 50 ibu.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:32:55 pm »
I recently brewed a "legacy" batch of my Noti Brown Ale recipe.  It uses a lot of Willamettes and over the years I'd switched them out for other hops.  It was the first recipe I ever won with, so I thought I'd revisit it in the original form.  I could immedialtely taste the earthy, dirt, whatever you want to call it.  I gave some to 2 friends, both BJCP, and that was the first thing they commented on.

Was their comment negative?  I'm assuming so.  I get the earthy taste but to me it's not a negative.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:39:39 pm »

I brewed that last year Denny and replaced the Willamette with Chinook ( loosely ala Arrogant Bastard).  It came out pretty good.  Great malt base.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 12:43:14 pm »
I get earth and spice. I make a session smash with willamette a couple of times a year.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 12:49:30 pm »

Stay away from X-462 then, had it recently at a well known brewpub that makes a beer called Hop 2 It.  Both of us got earthy, herbal. Finish was a surprise, chocolate like. The beer was pale, so no dark malts.

This might make a white stout.!  ;D
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 01:14:34 pm »

Was their comment negative?  I'm assuming so.  I get the earthy taste but to me it's not a negative.

They didn't exactly go "EWWWW, this is terrible".  But I got the impression they didn't care for it.  But like everything else involving taste, it's subjective.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 01:20:41 pm »
This might make a white stout.!  ;D

DO NOT go there!  :)

www.dennybrew.com