General Category > Ingredients

Alkalinity reduction using lime

(1/4) > >>

Kaiser:
I have been busy over the last few weeks writing another article for braukaiser.com. This time about reducing water alkalinity by using slacked lime, which is a commonly used procedure in large scale brewing but rarely used by home brewers. Though I doubt that I’ll convince many of you to give it a try since it doesn’t work for types of high alkalinity water and it takes more preparation that dilution, building from RO water or addition of salts it is a very elegant way of treating brewing water.

This article grew rather large. As I was writing it I found a lot of information about the subject that I just had to mention as well.

Enjoy: Alkalinity reduction with lime

Kai

majorvices:
Thanks for the work on that Kai. I have been looking into possibly using slaked lime to reduce the alkalinity in the water for my upcoming project. I will most certainly give it a thorough read. Hope you are up to answering a lot of questions.  ;)

Beertracker:
Wow! I hope this piece is going to end up in Zymurgy? I've experimented once before (after being so inspired by a mega-brewery visit) using lime, although it's definitely more work to get the same results.  ;)    

Kaiser:

--- Quote from: majorvices on March 18, 2010, 08:38:19 AM --- I will most certainly give it a thorough read. Hope you are up to answering a lot of questions.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Yes, you should definitely look into this since it can save you lots of money over the use of R/O water. In that case experimenting with this technique is a good investment.

--- Quote from: Beertracker on March 18, 2010, 09:04:12 AM ---Wow! I hope this piece is going to end up in Zymurgy? I've experimented once before (after being so inspired by a mega-brewery visit) using lime, although it's definitely more work to get the same results.  ;)   

--- End quote ---

I can pitch it to Jill as a possible Zymurgy article but, to be honest, how many Zymurgy readers would really be interested in this rather technical feature. I might give it a try as a piece for the Geeks column but that puts a tight constraint on the amount of words I can use.

Kai

bluesman:
Very, very nice work Kai. You are brilliant. I don't really have a need for this technique, but it is interesting and a great "go to" recourse for those in need of reducing their alkalinity. As I have said before, I will say it again...you are the "King of all Imperial Beer Geeks".

Prost!  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version