Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PB&J Ale  (Read 4819 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
PB&J Ale
« on: October 09, 2013, 05:20:28 pm »
Hello all, sorry I've been gone for a while. The heat in Florida has put a brief hold on my brewing. I saw a neat recipe in the recent BA magazine that was a take on PB&J. Has anyone tried a similar recipe before? Results?

Why the need to mix with 150 proof? Also, I'd love for someone to try and convert this to extract for me. Thanks and I hope all is well!

Recipe link-   http://imgur.com/QXfAGxA

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: PB&J Ale
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:34:53 pm »
Welcome back!
Not sure I want a PBJ beer, but it sounds better that dill pickle or guacamole beer.

cornershot

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 06:16:10 pm »
Welcome back!
Not sure I want a PBJ beer, but it sounds better that dill pickle or guacamole beer.

FWIW, PBJ would be my pick of the three!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 06:42:11 pm »
Florida, I'll tell you the same thing Denny told me once. Why do you want PBJ beer?

The point of the question is that once you come up with a list of flavors and traits that you want, you can build your own recipe aimed at those goals.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:04:27 pm »
I think the idea is that the mixture of PB and vodka will have a proof of 50, so it will be sanitized when added to the fermenter. By volume, it's a mix of 1 part alcohol and 2 parts PB.

But where's the J?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:54:40 pm »
Northern Brewer carries a MO extract as well as a rye extract, so you could sub those out for the respective malts, and then steep the crystal and aromatic. (Technically, the aromatic is supposed to be mashed, but you can steep it in small amounts if you're just looking for the flavor contribution)

Looking at the recipe I can really see the concept. The MO and rye give you the rye bread, and the aromatic gives you the crust. Is there something I'm missing that's supposed to be the jelly? Maybe mix it with some Welch's grape juice?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:04:55 pm »
Or peanut butter?

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:47:26 am »
Needs some nelson sauvin
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 08:49:50 am »
Needs some nelson sauvin
+1.  Definitely some grape flavor there.
Jon H.

cornershot

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:16:07 am »
Some Italian craft brewers are blending wine/grape juice into their beer. A fox grape like Concord would retain much of it's grapey flavor even after fermentation. I would try a can of concord juice concentrate at the end of primary.

narvin

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 09:18:36 am »
I made one of these back in my crazy brewing days sometime in the mid 2000s. Peanut butter cups and purple skittles in the boil.  I posted about it on the internet, and then started seeing other people interested in the idea.  Later, I thought, "Good God, what have I done?!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 05:52:53 pm »
That's awesome! My craziest move was last summer. I tried a Leinenkugle Lemon Shandy

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 02:45:48 pm »
Thanks for the responses...it sounded good initially! To answer an earlier question, this beer http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16410/69935 made me want to try the recipe. I'm nixing it as it sounds a bit out of my league and I will be only on my third batch shortly. Thanks again gents.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 03:33:52 pm »
Thanks for the responses...it sounded good initially! To answer an earlier question, this beer http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16410/69935 made me want to try the recipe. I'm nixing it as it sounds a bit out of my league and I will be only on my third batch shortly. Thanks again gents.

aren't you in SoFlo? - might want to go have a pint (er taster glass) of that at the brewery or around town - it is nice for a sip, but I don't think I could drink a full pint.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 04:05:56 pm »

aren't you in SoFlo? - might want to go have a pint (er taster glass) of that at the brewery or around town - it is nice for a sip, but I don't think I could drink a full pint.

Somebody brought some peanut butter cup beer to our holiday party last year.  Dis-gus-ting.  You know you don't want to drink a PBJ.  Just go make a delicious PBJ in five minutes and spend your brew day making... beer.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified