General Category > Equipment and Software

How to Motorize a Grain Mill

(1/12) > >>

Jeff M:
In the near future id like to add a Motor to my MM3 Mill.  Does anyone have any advice on what kind of motor i should look for and any other items id need for the task?
Thanks
Jeff

Steve in TX:
I was just looking into this earlier today. Did you wear a batman shirt also?

I founds this article on byo. http://byo.com/stories/item/1166-motorize-your-grain-mill-projects

Slowbrew:
Do a little searching on this site for Motor+Mill.  A year or two (maybe 3) there were some very active and informative threads on this very topic.

In my case I used a .5hp, 1750RPM basic motor I got from my Dad.  Added a 10" sheave and a 1.5" sheave.  Then I built a cart to mount the mill on.  A Homer bucket fits under the mill.  Very compact and easy to store.

Paul

yso191:

--- Quote from: Slowbrew on October 10, 2013, 04:35:23 AM ---Do a little searching on this site for Motor+Mill.  A year or two (maybe 3) there were some very active and informative threads on this very topic.

In my case I used a .5hp, 1750RPM basic motor I got from my Dad.  Added a 10" sheave and a 1.5" sheave.  Then I built a cart to mount the mill on.  A Homer bucket fits under the mill.  Very compact and easy to store.

Paul

--- End quote ---

Ditto.  I did exactly this and it works great.  I went with a new electric motor, but I understand one can find them used for much less.  My system is easy to disassemble and store:

harbicide:
I use a 1/4 hp X 1750 RPM motor.  This is strong enough to start from a fully loaded hopper.  My first sheave selection was 2" and 8" which resulted in about 500 rpm.  With a Schmidling it would mill 50 lbs in 90 seconds.  I have since scaled back the larger sheave to 11" which results in about 300 rpm.

There used to be a link for motorizing a mill on the Schmidling website.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version