Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How to Motorize a Grain Mill  (Read 35900 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: How to Motorize a Grain Mill
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 08:55:01 pm »
I've decided to upgrade my milling after a couple other upgrades. I'm going to add a pump system and another 15 gallon kettle. Will end up with a 9gallon HLT, 15 Gallon recirculation MT, and 15 gallon BK with a RIC. Then add a mill powered with a Dewalt drill. Found these guys in Yacolt, Wa.

http://www.millarsmills.com/

Nice looking mills. how do the Legs attach to the mill itself.  thats really the only thing i dont like the look of. most mills give you a solid MDF base for stability etc, not sure how 2 thin pieces of metal will work for ya
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 09:05:51 pm »
Mine would be bolted to the top of a cart, tall enough for a 6 gallon bucket to sit under on a shelf.

Offline Franklin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 04:51:48 am »
I bought one of those millars mills. I wish i would have bought a JSP mill. The mill i have was made in china and it doesn't stay in adjustment. it was 99 bucks. The bushings for the roller shafts wear out really fast, leaving this black metallic residue. I use a Black & Decker 1/2 inch electric drill to power this mill. It also got stuck alot.   
Frank Linkh

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 05:47:34 am »
I need to relink my old website. Here is my article from a long long time ago.
http://www.ipass.net/%7Empdixon/brew/Education/Motorizing%20a%20Mill.pdf
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 09:15:02 am »
Check this out, local guy to me started making his own mills after working with a MM3 that was in Ice Harbor's Homebrew Shop  http://www.maltmills.com/
Those are really nice mills, a local homebrew shop has one.  They're pricey though.
I like that rollers are geared but for that price I can buy entery level commercial grade mill.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 09:33:39 am »
I bought one of those millars mills. I wish i would have bought a JSP mill. The mill i have was made in china and it doesn't stay in adjustment. it was 99 bucks. The bushings for the roller shafts wear out really fast, leaving this black metallic residue. I use a Black & Decker 1/2 inch electric drill to power this mill. It also got stuck alot.   

Sounds like they have made a few upgrades. Food grade case hardening and sealed roller bearings instead of bushings. At $140 with 10lb hopper, seems reasonable. And they are only a couple hours away in case it fails.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 07:28:08 am »

Sounds like they have made a few upgrades. Food grade case hardening and sealed roller bearings instead of bushings. At $140 with 10lb hopper, seems reasonable. And they are only a couple hours away in case it fails.

A Barley Crusher is about the same money and they have years and years of experience and testing placed upon their machines.  Might be a better option.  I know a few of the guys on this forum rave about theirs.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 11:13:35 am »
I've decided to upgrade my milling after a couple other upgrades. I'm going to add a pump system and another 15 gallon kettle. Will end up with a 9gallon HLT, 15 Gallon recirculation MT, and 15 gallon BK with a RIC. Then add a mill powered with a Dewalt drill. Found these guys in Yacolt, Wa.

http://www.millarsmills.com/

I've got one of the earlier generation Millar Mills, all hand cranked until I recently did my previously described motorizing. Overall quality is OK, and I was on a tight budget at the time. I've ran a few hundred pounds of grain through it with no issues, and I run a real tight gap (~ .020") since I do BIAB.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 04:41:46 pm »
Good to know.

Offline sdsmith4u

• 1st Kit
  • All American Ale Works, LLC
    • Power Grinder, LLC
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:28 pm »
Here is the best setup I have found.  It does not use spinning flywheels or v belts, which have taken too many fingers over the years.  It has powerful torque, it is quiet, and chews through grain in seconds. Unlike drill motors, it turns the mill at a slow constant speed - 180 rpm. And best of all, it is not expensive!

[www.powergrinder.org]

Yes, Beer IS proof that God loves us,
and wants us to be happy!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:37 pm »
I want!

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 09:38:31 pm »
Here is the best setup I have found.  It does not use spinning flywheels or v belts, which have taken too many fingers over the years.  It has powerful torque, it is quiet, and chews through grain in seconds. Unlike drill motors, it turns the mill at a slow constant speed - 180 rpm. And best of all, it is not expensive!

It does look considerably expensive and it also looks like a spam post

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 09:44:54 pm »
$177, but the .org freaks me out

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 10:00:28 pm »

It does look considerably expensive and it also looks like a spam post

Damn I didn't notice that. However it isn't unrelated. Others have pushed brewing related products before no?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 10:06:54 pm »
An LHBS near by uses the same type of motor. I'll see if it is from the same place next time I stop by there.